Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

How To: Spark Plug Change (1 GR-FE)

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-24-2014, 05:36 AM   #1261
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
Got a link?
Contact Dahl Toyota. I got the oil filters from them and asked what kind of deal they would have on spark plugs...
Old 01-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #1262
DJ KRAZY K is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Pilot
DJ KRAZY K's Tacoma Gallery
Changed spark plugs!

Hey, thanks for the great thread, it made changing the plugs super easier especially because I have never done it before. I also had a friend help me as well and we followed the instructions to a T and it runs fine, but for some reason it sounds a bit louder/different, a little more clanky or pingy not sure how to describe the sound. Could I have done something wrong? I gaped them to within specs... I changed the oil at the same time but don't think that has anything to do with that. Got any suggestions?
Old 02-02-2014, 09:25 AM   #1263
Teevie is on a distinguished road
Name: steve
Teevie's Tacoma Gallery
Plugs Change and Check Engine

Thanks for the great pics and instructions. I paid less than $2 each for the Denso plugs from Rock Auto. After the
Old 02-02-2014, 09:29 AM   #1264
Teevie is on a distinguished road
Name: steve
Teevie's Tacoma Gallery
Plugs Change and Check Engine Warning

Thanks for the great pics and instructions. I paid less than $2 each for the Denso plugs from Rock Auto. After the successful change, I now have the amber check engine light. What do you think might have caused that, and, how do you clear it without going to the Dreaded Dealer Service Garage?
Old 02-02-2014, 09:46 AM   #1265
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teevie View Post
Thanks for the great pics and instructions. I paid less than $2 each for the Denso plugs from Rock Auto. After the successful change, I now have the amber check engine light. What do you think might have caused that, and, how do you clear it without going to the Dreaded Dealer Service Garage?
Get the code read for free at a parts store (advance, autozone, etc). Fix the problem.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:24 PM   #1266
Gene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: 1982-1988 Okinawa, Japan & Southern California
Name: Eugene
Gene563's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teevie View Post
If you haven't already, you might try retracing your steps; you may have left, or pulled something loose during re-assembly. Is it running smoothe ... maybe a coil not seated properly. Barring that, the free Autozone check sounds right.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #1267
Go Pokes!
Pistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Pistol Pete's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up! Changed mine today at 54k and went flawlessly. The previous owner must have never change them since they were still the two types. Sounds noticeably better as well as smoother acceleration and appeared to be an improvement improvement in mpgs via my ultragauge on my way home.

Only thing I did differently was unhooked everything on both sides and did the drivers side first to get it out of the way.

Thanks for such detailed instructions Chris, they were very helpful.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:59 PM   #1268
ToyTaco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyTaco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ToyTaco09's Tacoma Gallery
Changed my plugs yesterday (first time at 60k miles) and notice such an improvement in how the truck drives. My scanguage is already showing 1.5-2 mpg improvement. Thanks for an awesome "how to" thread. I wouldn't have attempted this if it wasn't for this write up. The dealer wanted $300 for parts and labor. I did it under $50. Thanks again!

One piece of advice for any other newbie doing this: When you tape the socket to the extension bar, make sure you tape it really good. I got it stuck down in the first plug. Took a while to get it out. I made sure it wouldn't happen again.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:56 AM   #1269
knayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
knayrb's Tacoma Gallery
Just had to say thanks for the tutorial. Got it done without a hitch at 66K miles.

First change dealer at ~30K $$$.
All old plugs were at .48-.50
All new plugs are at .40 at 40 degrees outside
Took half hour on passenger side
Took one hour on drivers side

Got to use my new inch-pound torque wrench as a bonus.

Thanks Chris and others.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:37 AM   #1270
VinTaco is on a distinguished road

VinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Changing plugs at 40000 miles

Why is it that many vehicles have plugs that last around 60,000 miles plus and on a Tacoma you are having to change them a lot earlier.??
Old 02-22-2014, 06:45 AM   #1271
JimROCDS is on a distinguished road
Marines: M60 Machine Gunner
Name: Jim
JimROCDS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinTaco View Post
Why is it that many vehicles have plugs that last around 60,000 miles plus and on a Tacoma you are having to change them a lot earlier.??

From what my mechanic told me, they're all going over to 30,000 mile change of spark plugs. With the 100,000 mile plug change, people thought there was no maintenance necessary beforehand.

But mostly, it avoids the pit falls of trying to remove plugs that are seized because they are so old.

Jim
Old 02-22-2014, 06:54 AM   #1272
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Manufactures try to have a "Low maintenance" schedule, and "Low cost of ownership" to appeal to the buying public. One way of doing this, is to extended plug change intervals.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:40 AM   #1273
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Manufactures try to have a "Low maintenance" schedule, and "Low cost of ownership" to appeal to the buying public. One way of doing this, is to extended plug change intervals.
+2. I am also dreading the day that I have to change out the iridium plugs on my wife's Highlander. The transverse mounted 3.5 requires the front cowl to be removed as well as a host of other parts to get to the back three cylinders. Allot of beer will be consumed that weekend.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:21 PM   #1274
No longer anonymous. D'oh!
carcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarcharias is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
carcharias's Tacoma Gallery
DONE!! First time, too! Woohoo! Very easy, aside from a stuck bolt on the bracket and that forward driver's side plug. Had to unbolt an extra wire harness to get in there more easily. The used spark plugs finished gapped between .050 and .055. Gapped new ones at .041. Thanks for the tutorial!
Old 02-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #1275

VinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Original Plugs

Should plugs be replaced with original plugs or is there a better plug that would actually make a difference..??
Old 03-01-2014, 06:46 AM   #1277

VinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Well that makes it simple.. thanks.. Did you use the same plug on both sides,..?? Is there a reason why some have 1 type of plug on 1 side and another on the other side.??
Old 03-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #1278
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well that makes it simple.. thanks.. Did you use the same plug on both sides,..?? Is there a reason why some have 1 type of plug on 1 side and another on the other side.??
Use the same plug. Only speculation as to why Toyota uses 2 different plugs. The Denso's hold gap longer than the NGK in these trucks, so stick with them.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:06 AM   #1280

VinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info.. How long would you keep the Denso`s before changing them.. ( Mileage.)

Products Discussed in this Thread