Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

How To: Spark Plug Change (1 GR-FE)

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-20-2014, 10:00 AM   #1401
LennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to all
Law Enforcement:
LennyTheLip's Tacoma Gallery

It's the gold colored bolt.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:02 AM   #1402
LennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to all
Law Enforcement:
LennyTheLip's Tacoma Gallery

You can see the intake bolt buried under the harness.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #1403
Chappie is on a distinguished road
Chappie's Tacoma Gallery
Woops.

Great guide, was able to do it in <90 minutes and that was with a solid 10 minutes trying to get the drivers side front wiring harness off. That one was tricky.

So, one problem though -- like an idiot, I forgot to reconnect the passenger side front wiring harness to the ignition coil. So when I started it up, the engine was vibrating a fair amount (from only firing on 5 cylinders), and the check engine light came on. I quickly realized what I had done, and reconnected it. Engine started up, runs smooth as silk, but the CEL is still on. I ran it down to the auto parts store and they hooked up the computer to it and it read out

P0351 - Ignition Coil A

Assuming the one I forgot to re-plug is "Coil A", this is consistent with what I did. The guy at the store said it just takes time for the message to clear, and to not worry about it for a few days at least. Is this sound advice?

Like I said, with the harness re-plugged, it runs fine, but I'm nervous about putting too many miles with that light on.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:39 AM   #1404
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappie View Post
Great guide, was able to do it in <90 minutes and that was with a solid 10 minutes trying to get the drivers side front wiring harness off. That one was tricky.

So, one problem though -- like an idiot, I forgot to reconnect the passenger side front wiring harness to the ignition coil. So when I started it up, the engine was vibrating a fair amount (from only firing on 5 cylinders), and the check engine light came on. I quickly realized what I had done, and reconnected it. Engine started up, runs smooth as silk, but the CEL is still on. I ran it down to the auto parts store and they hooked up the computer to it and it read out

P0351 - Ignition Coil A

Assuming the one I forgot to re-plug is "Coil A", this is consistent with what I did. The guy at the store said it just takes time for the message to clear, and to not worry about it for a few days at least. Is this sound advice?

Like I said, with the harness re-plugged, it runs fine, but I'm nervous about putting too many miles with that light on.
The light should go away on its own. You might want to see if a member in your area has a scanner that can clear the code for ya, if you want.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:14 PM   #1405
2006 Tacoma TRD Sport XSP
mnerren is on a distinguished road

Army: US Army 1985-88
mnerren's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

P0351 - Ignition Coil A

I have been told that if you disconnect the battery for 20 mins it will clear it as well
Old 08-03-2014, 05:45 PM   #1406
Chappie is on a distinguished road
Chappie's Tacoma Gallery
It has now gone out. Now if I could just get the tire pressure light to stop flashing....
Old 08-04-2014, 06:44 AM   #1407
JimROCDS is on a distinguished road
Marines: M60 Machine Gunner
Name: Jim
JimROCDS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It has now gone out. Now if I could just get the tire pressure light to stop flashing....

There is a reset button under the steering column. Hold it in as you turn on the ignition.

It will reset to the current tire pressure.

Jim
Old 08-15-2014, 05:20 PM   #1409
tunabreath is on a distinguished road
tunabreath's Tacoma Gallery
Just did this on my 08 with 65k miles. Plugs in it were originals. They looked great.

Didn't bother with OEM plugs. Picked up some Densos at Advance Auto Parts.

I would not and have never torqued a spark plug. And I definitely wouldn't waste my time torqueing the coil bolts.

Once you apply anti-seize or any lubricant to a thread, you reduce thread friction and will have actually stretched the bolt (in this case, the spark plug) to more than what you would have if you wouldn't have used any anti-seize or lubricant.

I typically use my index and middle finger on the end of a standard size 3/8" ratchet and only use the "pull" of those fingers to tighten. Never had an issue.

Of course, this only is an issue if you use thread lubricant where it doesn't specify. I like to play it safe and use anti-seize on bolts that are susceptible to rust or endure thermal cycling.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:33 PM   #1411
Asian RedNeck
BenMara is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenMara is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenMara is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenMara is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenMara is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenMara is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenMara is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenMara is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenMara is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenMara is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenMara is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
BenMara's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BenMara
just imagine if you had a SCer!
Old 08-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #1412
DPC08 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
DPC08's Tacoma Gallery
Just did mine @ 46000 miles. Plugs looked good except for the growing gap. Decided to use all Denso plugs. Glad I did. The Denso ones didn't grow as much as the NGK ones did. Measured the gap and the Densos were all around .052-.053 while the NGKs were between .058-.059. Plug closest to the radiator on the drivers side was a pain to disconnect, but otherwise easy. Thanks for the write up!
Old 08-17-2014, 06:56 PM   #1413
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMara View Post
just imagine if you had a SCer!
just use multiple swivels and short extensions................and a buddy with small hands
Old 08-18-2014, 12:19 AM   #1414
Asian RedNeck
BenMara is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenMara is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenMara is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenMara is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenMara is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenMara is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenMara is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenMara is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenMara is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenMara is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenMara is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
BenMara's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BenMara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
just use multiple swivels and short extensions................and a buddy with small hands
1/4 drive variety works best no need for small hands
Old 08-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #1415
Beat em
mattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mattygaff's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up! 3rd time I've changed out my plugs, and with this thread it took me just less than an hour. Thank you!!!
Old 08-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #1416
TanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to all

Name: James
TanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure it's somewhere in here, do most of you guys change out your wires at the same time as the plugs?
Old 08-20-2014, 03:56 PM   #1417
Ricks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MWSS 171, 374,
Name: Rick
Ricks2013's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanaTaco View Post
I'm sure it's somewhere in here, do most of you guys change out your wires at the same time as the plugs?
No not usually. I'll probably change mine after 80k or so, but unless theres something wrong with them they should be good.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:33 PM   #1418
acmariner99 is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
acmariner99's Tacoma Gallery
Going to try this today

Hello - I am doing my 60k maintenance cycle today, including the spark plugs, oil, transmission fluid, and rear differential fluid (not LSD). I will be using the recommended Denso plugs, Toyota's ATF WS fluid, and their recommended 80/90 diff fluid.

This will be my first attempt doing all of these tasks, but the write ups on this forum are very well done so I don't expect to have any problems.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:30 PM   #1419
Solve et Coagula
Silence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Silence9's Tacoma Gallery
Is it overkill to change the wires with the plugs every 30k?
Old 08-22-2014, 04:42 PM   #1420
hotrod45 is on a distinguished road
Army: medic 5501 hospital
Name: paul
hotrod45's Tacoma Gallery
Smile wires

yes, unless you have a bad one.

Products Discussed in this Thread