1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weird Vibration Only In 5th Gear

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by PNWyota, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Dec 12, 2013 at 5:53 PM
    PNWyota

PNWyota [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Eastern Washington
    Vehicle:
    95' Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Current mods are 31 inch tires, 3inch tuff country lift, Add a leaf in the rear, On tuff county 8000 shocks, and front struts, Audio: Nice Alpine Cda 9887 deck 10" rockford p3 Kicker zx 700.5 amp
    When driving about 45 mph in 4th gear it rides smooth. Shift to 5th and right away I get a vibration. As I speed up it doesn't get worse but I feel it from about 45mph to 60mph and then after 60mph it rides smooth again. Also if I am driving at about 55mph it vibrates then I let off the throttle it quits. I have been searching forums for about a week and cannot find anyone with a problem like this. Your help would be much appreciated.

2. Dec 12, 2013 at 7:31 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    You need to break the vibration down to engine related or transmission and driveline .
    I would start by looking at the universal joints on the driveshaft . Get under the truck and give the driveshaft some grease .The proper way to check universal joints is by removing the driveshaft .
    Look at when your last engine tune up was done . Can you duplicate the vibration in the driveway ?
    If you havnt done any engine related tune ups , do some basic stuff - changing plugs , fuel filter , air filter to start .
    Once you have done this , you have a base line .
    When you are in 5th gear , you can feel the slightest engine missfire

3. Dec 12, 2013 at 7:33 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Wouldn't an engine misfire trigger a code ?

The reason I ask is I just had this exact discussion with a tech at Toyota today

4. Dec 12, 2013 at 8:01 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Bama may be able to answer this better but on the older trucks like the OP ( 1995) , the computer looked at sensors and timing 8 times per second .Not long enough to catch everything like missfires , bad plugs and such .
    Newer vehicles should catch missfires much quicker .
    My wife has an 05 matrix . I can pop a plug wire off while its running for a second or two and the ecm doesnt catch it ???

5. Dec 13, 2013 at 8:55 AM
    PNWyota

PNWyota [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Eastern Washington
    Vehicle:
    95' Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Current mods are 31 inch tires, 3inch tuff country lift, Add a leaf in the rear, On tuff county 8000 shocks, and front struts, Audio: Nice Alpine Cda 9887 deck 10" rockford p3 Kicker zx 700.5 amp
    Okay thanks for the input. I thought it would probably be transmission or driveline. But I will check the plugs wires air cleaner and fuel filter tonight and let you know if it fixed it.

6. Dec 24, 2013 at 8:17 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    Is the vibration primarily in the shifter, fifth gear only, and only under load? If so, I live with it too. Hasn't changed at all since I bought the truck 13k miles ago. If I shift into 5th gear at either 47 mph or 57 mph then it's almost imperceptible and will stay that way at any speed. There's a slight vibe in the floorboard that's somehow transmitted through the shifter; if I push forward slightly on the stick, all vibes disappear. I personally think it's a design issue with the Toyota 5 speeds. Heck, it's not even limited to Tacomas - it happens to Corollas, Camrys, Celicas... look around the internet, there's complaints here and there.

Threads related to that:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-cylinder/90663-5th-gear-vibration.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/te...r-vibration-5th-gear-manual-transmission.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/232251-5th-gear-vibration-shake.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/277658-shifter-shaking-5th-gear.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/114974-vibration-shifter-50-mph.html
    Inspect the u-joints just in case, sometimes a failing u-joint can cause vibes that are only felt in 5th. Driveline harmonics can be funny sometimes.

7. Apr 18, 2014 at 9:53 AM
    Tashier

Tashier Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma V6 Limited
    Air Bar Suspension
    Has anyone figured out a solution to this problem? All of those links above don't have a definitive answers. My 99 4x4 Xtra cab, only in 5th gear, light throttle, lower speeds, the whole truck begins to shudder and vibrate. I don't feel it in the gear shift, I actually feel it more in the steering wheel. I don't see any slop at all in the drive line, I have kept the U-joints lubed pretty well over the years. Any help please?

8. Apr 19, 2014 at 2:47 PM
    Andy.G

Andy.G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sx 4x4 2.7 5 speed
    Started automatic. Swapped to manual
    I would check motor mount rubber, and transmission mount. I had same issue some years back on 95. Trans mount rubber was hard like a brick. That fixed my vib. Imagine motor mounts could also get hard.

9. Aug 31, 2017 at 9:58 PM
    jacobrippey

jacobrippey It’s always Taco Tuesday Instagram #rippstik

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Phoenix, Arizona. USA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DC 4wd
    Find me on Instagram: @rippstik
    Sorry to revive this, but has anyone found a solution to this? My truck is doing this too!

10. Oct 18, 2017 at 11:17 AM
    lionel merble

lionel merble New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma pre-runner access cab, 4 cylinder, 5 speed

exactly the problem that I'm having, except mine doesn't begin to smooth out until 70+ and the vibration doesn't stop simultaneously with letting off the throttle, but stops about a 1/2 second after.
    Mine started after I had a used engine and new clutch installed. So far I've been back to the mechanic who installed the motor, my mechanic, a front end shop and a transmission shop.
    All have tried to be helpful and all have invested time trying to solve the problem, but can't identify the problem.

The transmission shop said that it could be a misfire issue and attempted to explain that certain misfire issues are only apparent in 5th gear, but my mechanic says that a code would show up if it was misfire.

Is there some way that the misfire wouldn't register on the diagnostic machines?

Any help greatly appreciated.

11. Sep 10, 2018 at 7:57 PM
    85dippen

85dippen New Member

Member:
    anyone figured out what their problem im having the same problem if it helps i just had my clutch done it didn't do it before and my T-H bearing is starting to make noise already after only two weeks and where my clutch engages and disengages has changed since i left the shop thinking they did a poor job

Products Discussed in

To Top