1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch or Transmission Troubles

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Quintessential, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Dec 15, 2013 at 6:31 PM
    Quintessential

Quintessential [OP] New Member

Member:
    Victoria
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    2" spacer lift, FrontRunner bed rack, Tepui Kukenam Ruggedized,
    Hello all! I've recently had an issue which I'm try to diagnose - I have a '07 double cab, 4x4, 1GR-FE engine, manual 6-speed transmission.

The other day, started up to let it warm up for a couple minutes - which means I push in the clutch and turn the ignition. A burning smell then came from the truck - so immediately I open the hood and look at the engine for smoke, but there was nothing.
    I let it warm up for a few minutes, then shift into reverse and the clutch is very spongy. It went into gear just fine, but as I was letting the clutch out, the whole truck was shaking violently and the burning smell came back.
    Right away, I was thinking about the aluminum part in the clutch which tends to burn out quickly - is that what it could be?
    Also, if it is - does anyone know or have a link to the thread so I can see how other people have put in a steel one instead?

Thanks!!

2. Dec 15, 2013 at 6:41 PM
    jpachard

jpachard Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 4WD 4.0L Tacoma 6spd TRD
    Quintessential,
    I'm new to this forum as well but will be replacing my clutch and TO bearing Assy after the new year. On my truck, the TO bearing issue manifested itself as a squeak that would disappear and/or change pitch when the clutch pedal had pressure applied to it.

Hopefully others will chime in and let us know if the failure mode you just described is related to your TO bearing or another clutch related issue.

When I install the new steel one, I'll be sure to post a DIY guide. FYI I got mine from URD.

have you ver bled the clutch slave?

Cheers, James

3. Dec 16, 2013 at 1:32 PM
    Quintessential

Member:
    Victoria
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    No, never bled the clutch slave, although I'm beginning to think that's where the problem may also be - along with the throw out bering.
    Planning on just getting it fixed for now and then replacing it also in the new year.
    I found a DIY replacement video on an X-Runner where the guy replaced the TO bering and bled out the clutch - he was saying that there was a potential flaw in the system: there is a rubber line that runs from a connection on the firewall down to the transmission, it's above the reservoir, air bubbles will have a high chance of getting trapped in there.
    THanks James!

4. Dec 16, 2013 at 1:34 PM
    Quintessential

Member:
    Victoria
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5

Products Discussed in

To Top