1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bench-to-(TRD) Bucket Swap in 2006 Tacoma -- Boom!

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by ready2dodamage, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Dec 16, 2013 at 10:48 AM
    ready2dodamage

ready2dodamage [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2006 Reg Cab 4x4 - 4 Banger
    Recently completed a Bench to Bucket Conversion in my 2006 Regular Cab Tacoma (4x4, 5 speed). I hope my photos and notes help streamline the process for future moders (go for it, it’s not as bad as you think!).

Huge shout-out :proposetoast: to TacomaBuzz, Kelsom, and Yoytoda for their previous threads and instructions on this topic (see links at end of post). My back thanks you, my girlfriend thanks you, and all of my future passengers, collectively, thank you.

First, a glimpse at the glorious result (seats and console from a 2005 TRD):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mission accomplished!
    [​IMG]

The Install

The pictures don’t perfectly flow with my recommended installation order, it took me a couple weekends to acquire the hardware and finish the install and I installed the drivers seat before the console. However, if I were to do this again I would follow this order:

I. Remove Bench Seat
    II. Remove Old Console
    III. Remove Bench Seat Wiring & Sensors
    IV. Install Weight Sensor into Passenger Bucket Seat
    V. Organize the Wires
    VI. Install New Console
    VII. Install New Seats
    VIII. Buckles

I. Remove Bench Seat
    Sorry for the lack of photos here, however, the process is very straight forward. Six bolts to remove and and two wires to disconnect (grab a flashlight).
    (a) Disconnect the battery and wait a few minutes, failure to do so could set-off your airbag light!
    (b) Disconnect the bench seat wiring from the cab-floor wiring on both driver and passenger sides.
    (c) Remove the bench-seat floor bolts and the seat-belt receptacle bolts; need 14mm socket and perhaps a mid-sized breaker bar.

II. Remove Old Console
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

III. Remove Bench Seat Wiring & Sensors
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IV. Install Weight Sensor into Passenger Bucket Seat
    Again, sorry for the lack of photos here, however, the installation is essentially the same as the removal. Disengage the cloth covers, push up on the cushion, slide sensor inside.
    [​IMG]

V. Organize the Wires!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VI. Install New Console
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VII. Install New Seats
    Eight bolts total. I found it easier to do the front two bolts first. Torque spec is 27lbs.

VIII. Seat Belt Buckles
    (1) The Bench-seat Buckles do not fit the Bucket-Seat Receptacles, so you've got two options here, (a) swap the seat belt systems in their entirety; or (b) grind down with Bench-Buckles to fit the smaller Bucket-Seat Receptacles. I went with the grinding option. Note: for me, the smaller-ground buckles still latch into the old Bench-Seat Receptacles—so it shouldn't be an issue if you ever need to reverse the seat-swap. Obviously only grind as much as needed.

(2)
    Install dummy or false buckles into the Bench-Seat Receptacles to turn-off the indicator lights.

I spoke with Adam over at CravenSpeed and he graciously setup a 10% discount coupon for anything on their website, which includes these nifty false buckles:
    http://www.cravenspeed.com/chimex/

Note, the coupon code is case sensitive: TacomaWorld2014

**Credits & Kudos**
    Shout-out to TacomaBuzz, Kelsom, and Yoytoda for the following threads (read 'em!):

The encyclopedia on the Bench to Bucket mod:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/te...bout-swapping-2nd-gen-bench-seat-buckets.html

More details on removing the occupant detection sensor:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...upant-detection-system-aftermarket-seats.html

How to fool the seat rail sensor:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/162390-non-airbag-buckets-into-2010-reg-cab.html

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    marqzman and krustytaco like this.
  2. Jan 20, 2014 at 8:55 PM
    TreeFortRichard

TreeFortRichard Barcelona Red is the best red...

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    42.3115167,-71.6638516
    Vehicle:
    '23 SR5 DCSB 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Nice write up! Just saw your passenger seat on craigslist while doing my routine "Tacoma" search for worcester and the area...

Too bad it's not a drivers seat...I bought a used 2010 w/ 78,000 hard miles from someone 300lbs and wearing sandpaper pants...I think a new seat would do wonders...But I only commute 10 miles a day so It's not that big of a deal...

Blais03 likes this.
  3. Jan 20, 2014 at 9:38 PM
    ready2dodamage

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Thanks!

BTW, I'm super jealous of your truck man. I really, really, really, really wanted a 4cyl access cab a few years back when I was in the market but couldn't find a used one ANYWHERE. I hope you absolutely cherish that thing. haha.

Also, during my two year saga in search of seats I came across a really beat up pair and poked around for prices on re-surfacing/stuffing. I found a guy in Oxford (could have been Auburn, though) who could do it for around $200. I lost the guy's business card but the referral came by way of Advanced Auto Body (Park Ave, Worcester), they could probably get you in touch with him if you're interested.

4. Jan 20, 2014 at 10:00 PM
    TreeFortRichard

TreeFortRichard Barcelona Red is the best red...

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    42.3115167,-71.6638516
    Vehicle:
    '23 SR5 DCSB 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Cool...Maybe when the wife is asking what I want for this or that...I can ask for refinished seats :)

I got the truck at Ira in danvers...It was traded in on a friday, showed up on their inventory on a saturday and I put a $200 deposit on a sunday after a cursory checkout..It was a mess...as the previous owner had coffee/dirt/seat tear (repaired with some kind of spreadable seat bonding goop) But it cleaned up nice and I got a great deal...
    The guy couldn't understand why I was so pushy...He didn't realize they were about 2K lower than others for the same truck. The used 4cyl manuals 4wd access are impossible to find.

5. Jan 21, 2014 at 3:01 AM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Nice work!

6. Jan 21, 2014 at 6:57 AM
    ready2dodamage

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Wow, Ira Danvers huh, I'll keep them in mind. What a find, truly a needle in the haystack.

7. Jan 21, 2014 at 7:09 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Great job :thumbsup:

8. Jan 21, 2014 at 7:15 AM
    TacomaJack09

TacomaJack09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Montana!
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab 4x4
    Billie 5100's, Ride Rite Airbags, Tech Deck
  9. Jan 21, 2014 at 7:43 AM
    ready2dodamage

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the link! I can't believe I didn't think to Google "dummy buckle." Been putting up with that stupid indicator light for months now. Slowly blinking me to death.

I'd been planning to go to the local pull-a-part and find something "close enough" to grind and fit, but for $20, well worth avoiding that headache.

10. Jan 21, 2014 at 8:55 AM
    ready2dodamage

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Updated/cleaned up a few things in my original post, I'll snap some pics of my "ground" seat buckles this weekend to give everyone an idea of "how much."

Additionally, I posted this info above but I spoke with Adam over at CravenSpeed and he created a 10% discount coupon for anything on their site. I just used it and can confirm it works!

Note, the coupon code is CaSe sensitive: TacomaWorld2014

11. Jan 25, 2014 at 9:42 PM
    osubeav818

osubeav818 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 Regular Cab, SuperWhite, Debadged
    Viper 350hv, Bakflip Fibermax, Pop n lock
    OP, about how long did this take? More than 3 hours?

12. Jan 25, 2014 at 9:58 PM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    Nice right up op

13. Jan 25, 2014 at 10:07 PM
    ready2dodamage

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Well, took me about 1.5 years to find all the parts (seats & console) lol, but I'd estimate the time spent working on the actual install was +/- 12 hours. Due to various complications the project got strung out over several days so I wasted a lot of time just getting set-up or breaking everything down. It's the only vehicle I own, so a trip to the store required re-installing the old seat, re-connecting the wiring harness and battery...ect.

Also, I didn't realize the rear-part of the center console required that mounting bracket you see in the photos so that complication killed Day 1 of the install. And it took me three hardware store trips before I finally had all the bolts and screws.

Provided that you acquired absolutely everything you needed, and/or had another vehicle to use in case something came up, you could probably cut the install time down to maybe 8ish hours.

By far, the biggest time suck is removing the passenger occupant sensor and the wiring harness from the bench seat—total PITA.

Too bad you're out in CA, I've got a really nice extra bucket seat for sale :)
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...r-side-bucket-seat-airbag-like-new-300-a.html

14. Jan 25, 2014 at 10:11 PM
    osubeav818

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    I know, I saw that recently. Just found a pair of buckets off a 12 TRD that I'm picking up, with center console, so I got lucky.

15. Jan 25, 2014 at 10:20 PM
    ready2dodamage

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    That's sweet. They must be in great shape, the ones I found were from an '05, good padding but lots of stains.

May the gods be with you on the airbag system stuff, I'm guessing those new trucks are a whole different can of worms? Don't forget to take pics!

16. Jan 26, 2014 at 8:52 AM
    osubeav818

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Ya, I'm gonna have to clean the heck out of them and throw some wet okole's on them too. Ya, I hope it's not too[/B bad but I'll PM you if I run into anything problematic

17. Dec 4, 2014 at 7:47 AM
    OldSkoolArcher

OldSkoolArcher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    '20 SX Access Cab, 6 Cyl, Super White, 4x4
    Great Post! So quick question: Is it not possible to use the seat belt components from the bench seat??

Also, Can you please elaborate on the ziptieing and taping all the wires together to eliminate the possibility of the airbag light coming on.

18. Dec 5, 2014 at 12:50 PM
    ready2dodamage

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, glad you found it helpful! Quick answers to your questions for now.

I've been meaning to update this thread with more pictures that detail exactly what I did, but it's going to have to wait a bit longer. Totally swamped with final exams at the moment.

Is it not possible to use the seat belt components from the bench seat??
    Bench and Bucket model trucks use different components for their seat belt systems. Most importantly, the metal seat-belt clip on Bench model trucks is slightly wider than the ones used in Bucket model trucks. As a result, the Bench-model seat belt clips will not fit into Bucket-model receptacles (i.e., the plastic thing you click the seat-belt into). Additionally, Bench-model receptacles cannot but used with the center console of a Bucket-model truck, the Bench-model receptacles are simply far too large.

As a solution, I (carefully) used an angle grinder to "trim/narrow" my Bench-model seat belt clips so that they would engage into the receptacles on the bucket seats. I'd recommend using a file to dull the edges after grinding and only grind as much as you need to get the clip to engage—don't go hog wild. My seat belt clips will still engage with the bench-seat receptacles, which I've stashed under the seat (see next response). Note that I'm avoiding the issue of attaching the Bucket seat receptacles to the truck's wiring harness. See answer to next question for more details.

Please elaborate on the ziptieing and taping all the wires together to eliminate the possibility of the airbag light coming on.
    Essentially what I did was strip the entire wiring harness from the Bench seat: rail sensors, passenger seat weight sensor, seat belt receptacles, absolutely everything, like everything — and then reconnected the entire harness to the truck. In doing so, the entire airbag/seatbelt system remains "intact," which keeps the airbag and seatbelt lights off. That is, if you remembered to disconnect the truck's battery! :)

First, I installed the passenger seat weight sensor into the new bucket seat. Second, I took the rest of the wiring harness and attached it back to the truck, i.e., clip it back into the connections on the cab floor. Third, I electrical taped and zip-tied a random piece of metal to the seat-rail sensor (see this guy's post: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/162390-non-airbag-buckets-into-2010-reg-cab.html). Fourth, I bought some "dummy buckles" for the Bench-seat receptacles, which are still attached to the wiring harness and stashed under my new seats. These dummy buckles fool the seat belt sensor.

19. Dec 12, 2014 at 5:55 AM
    OldSkoolArcher

OldSkoolArcher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    '20 SX Access Cab, 6 Cyl, Super White, 4x4
    Thanks so much for the reply. I appreciate it a lot. I am picking up my bucket seats this afternoon and will be jumping into the swap in the next few days.

I am going to try to utilize the bench seat seat belt receptacles instead of the bucket seat receptacles.

Is there only one seat-rail sensor or two?

20. Dec 13, 2014 at 12:20 PM
    ready2dodamage

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Just looked, there are two seat-rail sensors.

I used some random metal brackets that I found at a hardware store. Anything 1" wide and 2-3" long should be sufficient. The sensor's magnet is pretty strong but I zip-tied and wrapped electrical tape around the whole thing, for good measure.

Products Discussed in

To Top