1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Radar Detector Location, Hardwiring.

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Oggy, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Dec 18, 2013 at 9:38 PM
    Oggy

Oggy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    I just bought a Cobra XRS 9730 Radar Detector, no I do not plan on driving recklessly. I have had friends get tickets for doing 46 in a 45, I view tickets as a revenue generator for the city/state rather than a way to deter bad driving and want to avoid being in a situation such as those. But enough of my view point on this matter, I just bought a 2010 TRD Off Road Tacoma. I noticed when going over my truck the old owner had something mounted right below the pop down drawer. I sized up my radar detector mount and used a couple screws to screw in the already made holes and grabbed a couple washers. Mounted perfectly, my only concern is it isn't on the window and I am not sure how well radar detectors work when not hanging on the window. I drove home with it in my cup holder and it worked perfectly, a couple low alarms, but 2 3 alarm alerts which turned out to be cops.

I am planning on hard wiring it into the fuse box once my stuff arrive in the mail, I would much rather have it mounted here; than under my rear view mirror (or on top if I fabricate a new mount). This way it is out of the way, doesn't obstruct my view of the road or constantly distract me, and it is still within eye sight if I need it to be. Plus I can still use the drawer, some what; Might have to custom make a mount so I can open it all the way rather than 85%.

But what do you all think of the location and is it obstructing its ability to sense radars that are going off or active?

20131218_221354-1.jpg

2. Dec 19, 2013 at 10:25 AM
    SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road
    It is a law for a reason... What I am saying is that if you go above the stated limit then you are knowingly breaking the said limit and therefore shouldn't be upset when/if you get a ticket.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  3. Dec 19, 2013 at 10:29 AM
    Sloth

Sloth Baby Ruth?

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Democratic Peoples Republik of Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser, 98 Landcruiser
    Stuff
    It's not going to work very well mounted down there. It needs to be able to "see" the radar scatter of other metal objects. To do that out has to be in the best position possible with the clearest view. That may pick up some scatter, but won't be effective.

4. Dec 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
    Its completely useless down there, the point of it is to sense the radar energy field before its reflected off your vehicle.

5. Dec 20, 2013 at 7:42 AM
    Oggy

Oggy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Yeah, I have since used the biked reflector mod on the forums. I had too many false alarms from other bands and looked into what radars they actually used in the valley I turned the rest off, now it is perfect. Still waiting to hard wire it in, snail mail this season is always fun to deal with.

Products Discussed in

To Top