1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Testing ADD and transfer case actuator

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by cookee62, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Dec 31, 2013 at 1:07 PM
    cookee62

cookee62 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Mary, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 DBL Cab
    URD SS, URD Y-Pipe, DTLT Headers, 3" URD Cat Back, Fox 2.5 CO, TC UCA, Fox Rear Resi, SS brake Lines, All pro 1.5" leafs, Halo Projector Headlights, WE Bead-lock Rims, 33 BFG AT, No Sway Bar
    Ok so I drive my truck and running fine... then turn it on on day and then I see 4wd and 4LO lights blinking on me. I go here on the forum and see the famous ADD fix. I pull off the front diff actuator and see conections are good and nothing is in the black box. no water no corrosion no rust. clean as a whistle. I say ok well I'll solder the motor and the switch maybe its something I cant see. install it and re hook it up.. still blinking at me. So before I test my transfer case actuator how do I test them period?

also how bad is test the transfer case actuator? can you take off the black box like the front diff? or test it on the truck directly?

I have also put it on jack stands and while in 4wd the front drive shaft does not spin... which is why I think its the transfer case actuator? Please help

Thanks,

2. Jan 3, 2014 at 8:08 AM
    cookee62

Member:
    Lake Mary, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 DBL Cab
    URD SS, URD Y-Pipe, DTLT Headers, 3" URD Cat Back, Fox 2.5 CO, TC UCA, Fox Rear Resi, SS brake Lines, All pro 1.5" leafs, Halo Projector Headlights, WE Bead-lock Rims, 33 BFG AT, No Sway Bar
    Anyone? I need to know how bad opening the transfer case actuator is?

3. Jan 3, 2014 at 11:02 PM
    Black Pipe

Black Pipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Link in the FSM had you use the heater relay and measure contact resistances. You shouldn't have to remove it but probably wouldn't be a bad idea. My guess is maybe the transfer case shift rail is stuck

4. Jan 4, 2014 at 6:39 AM
    cookee62

Member:
    Lake Mary, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 DBL Cab

Whats a FSM?

5. Jan 4, 2014 at 9:59 AM
    Black Pipe

Black Pipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Service manual from ToMoCo

6. Jan 5, 2014 at 6:02 AM
    cookee62

Member:
    Lake Mary, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 DBL Cab
    Where is that ? Is that on here?

7. Jan 5, 2014 at 8:03 AM
    Taco'09

Taco'09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    OP, two things. The front ADD actuator has a TSB now. It looks like a part change but I have not been able to figure out yet what is different. It had a bit of a reputation for taking in water but you said that yours was ok.

The actuator in the transfer case has had the same problem on occasion. There was a part number changed on it in 2008. Its a mega expensive actuator and generally the transfer case must be removed to replace it. What a number of guys have done is take off the actuator's housing cover, cleaned it up, and tried to free it up mechanically. The transfer case actuator has become a use-it-or-lose-it deal. Apparently the grease goes to hard goo especially if some water gets in there.

Obviously check the easy stuff first such as corroded terminals an broken wires.

Once in a while the 4WD switch itself on the dash goes bad. Also the 4WD computer above the glove compartment is in mix but I have yet to read of one that has gone bad.

If I get a minute today I will come back with an edit and give you some links on this general problem.

EDIT: This is directly from a post I did on another forum. Something in these links should help you:

* Check out Post No. 4 at this link: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ot-engage.html

Please ignore all those other comments in that thread about those lines being vacuum lines. We have already established that they are not. They are vent hoses and vent hoses only.

* Here is a good thread about the problem you and others have had and some good diagnosis: * Another thread; got a hammer? Check out Post 10. The rest of the thread is informative too: * Clean out the front ADD actuator. See this thread and especially Posts 18-24 by tacosupreme: * Thread about general problems and failures with the front ADD actuator, transfer actuator, confirmed replacement of front ADD actuator fixing the problem and other fixes: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...p/t-90151.html

Good luck, and please keep us posted as to what you find so others can benefit.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  8. Aug 19, 2016 at 8:02 AM
    Edie011

Edie011 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central ohio
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma trd xtracab
    Did you get it figured out??

9. Sep 12, 2016 at 7:45 AM
    Smar969905

Smar969905 ToyotaLover

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Deer Park, WA
    Vehicle:
    96 Dodge 12valve cummins- mine, 16 T4R - wife's, 11 Taco - totalled
    Keeping my eyes on this for later. For some reason, work doesn't seem to want to pay me to take care of my truck.

10. Mar 27, 2017 at 7:24 AM
    novataco

novataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    Aries bull bar, Lund grill screen, blackened h/l, Weathertech plastic all over, Access LE tonneau, window tint, tube steps, DF-Toy aux adapter, cig plug always on, console vault, hitch step, 1700 watt in-cab inverter and dual battery (in-progress), Delta bike hitch mounts
    Thanks for this info. My '06 has been getting stuck in 4Hi, with the light flashing, and sometimes both 4 hi and lo flashing. The scan shows no codes. The mechanic at the dealership tells me the transfer case actuator is the issue, showing corrosion. They tapped it with a hammer and it disengaged. It is a $1500 part, so I am hesitant to pay that without trying to clean it up a bit? Any guidance on this? I see someone opened their up. Not knowing how involved this is, has anyone else? A DIY with pics would help but I am not finding one.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    GrayRock likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top