Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Scheduled Maintenance (2nd gen) - 30,000 - 60,000 - 90,000 miles

Old 06-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #21
I am the Sofa King
harshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shed

harshest's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Hey Gang,
When you buy plugs from Toyota, aren't they pre-gapped already?

(when I bought them for my 96 years ago, they were...???)
I just did mine again and yes they were pre-gapped.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #23
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for posting this!

For the retorquing of the propeller shaft bolts, there are two torque figures for the one bolt in the center of the 4WD Access Cab/Double Cab pdf diagram. Am I supposed to tighten to the first torque, loosen, and then tighten to the second? I'll need to look for this bolt...didn't notice it before. I have seen the others at the ends of the prop shafts.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #24
Native Son
Cape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack
Cape Codder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR5650R View Post
I put all this in a Maintenance folder on my desktop, with an Excel Spreadsheet for what has been done, including costs. I can post that up here too if anyone is interested.
Did You Ever Get Around to Posting That Spreadsheet?
I Don't See It
I'd Download It. If It's Already Set Up
Old 09-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #25
Katzo production
leo08pirate has a spectacular aura aboutleo08pirate has a spectacular aura about

Name: Leo
leo08pirate's Tacoma Gallery
i could do all of this my self but i work at toyota
Old 11-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #26
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
As for the engine air filter, is there a clip I need to be worried about on the back part of the air box? I plan on doing this tomorrow and it's raining outside so I couldn't get a look at it. How would I go about changing out the filter?
Old 01-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #27
jed1894 is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Radioman
jed1894's Tacoma Gallery
All these instructions good for 2011 model?
Old 02-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #28
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jed1894 View Post
All these instructions good for 2011 model?
Cross reference your owners manual with the instructions posted here and you can tell us. I bet they're good to go for all years of Tacoma including 2011.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #30
islander is on a distinguished road
islander's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a stock '07 with 2.7L/4WD/5 speed. Looking at the service intervals none of them say to replace any gear box oil unless you're towing, only to inspect it. Can this be right? And the spark plug changes seem to be only for the V6 engines until the 120K service when it says "all models", is that true too?
Old 08-14-2011, 06:42 AM   #31
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
subbed
Old 08-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #32
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
i have 28’6** on my ’07 TRD OR 4x4 v-6 mom say all that 30k man is BS. is it? or dose it really need to be done? i tried telling her it did need to be done. but she just says it’s a gimmick and it’s BS.

if it dose need to be done at 30k. should i get the stuff and do it my self? how much and hard would it be to do my self myself?
Old 08-30-2011, 05:30 AM   #33
carattini is on a distinguished road
Name: David
carattini's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxnation View Post
Nice job!!! I can handle most of that expect the plugs and rotation... ( no jack stands) ???? why do plugs need replaced at 30k???? seems odd.... My 2006 TRD access cab is currently at 26800.0 I too hate to drop $399 at my dealer....
you can do that yourself...
Old 08-30-2011, 05:30 AM   #34
carattini is on a distinguished road
Name: David
carattini's Tacoma Gallery
What is this?
Re-torque propeller shaft bolt
Old 09-25-2011, 02:34 AM   #35
coltsporter is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoltsporter is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoltsporter is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoltsporter is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoltsporter is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoltsporter is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoltsporter is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoltsporter is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoltsporter is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoltsporter is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoltsporter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
coltsporter's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you. You guys are saving me a TON of money.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #36
knayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
knayrb's Tacoma Gallery
Very Disappointed in myself

So I'm not a master mechanic by any means but I am quite handy and mechanical in nature. I'll pretty much attempt anything and 95% of the time succeed if I have the right tools and instructions. I also have a lazy streak in me and decided to take my truck in for the 30,000 dealer service. I tow, haul, and off-road a bit so I do feel that I could justify some early maintenance.

Of course the dealer's economy, enhanced, and premium packages have lots of extras included that the owner's manual doesn't. I didn't have everything done but it still cost me a cool $688.92 out the door. I'm very upset at myself because it was 117.35 in parts, 497.40 in labor, 30.00 shop fee crap, and 44.17 in taxes. In addition, when I got home there was a plastic part sitting in the windshield wiper well. They forgot to snap it back on one of the hose bends.

I could have saved myself over $500 doing stuff that isn't very hard, and using this site, even have instructions with pictures. I feel I would be more careful and precise also.

Here's what I had done:

- Front, rear, and transfer case oil changed (not hard)
- Spark plugs replaced (still not hard but time consuming)
- Drain and fill transmission (per their recommendations even though it's WS oil, not hard)
- 4-wheel alignment (I don't have the equipment so I don't feel bad)
- Fuel injector flush (I think this is stupid. I use Chevon and add some injector cleaner every 6 months. IMO same stuff.)
- Adjusted parking brake (not hard)
- Used shop supplies (I would use less than a half roll of paper towels)

Live and learn I guess.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #37
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by astral View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread, I have the same question as above, and also:

"For you guy like me w/ the Sport model, you'll need a 4oz. tube of LSD additive."

Wh
at is different about the sport that requires this additive?
THIS is only for 2005-2008 Sport TRDs as they have the mechanical limited slip differential in back...

2009 + are all electronic/ brake created limited slip (open differential).
Old 10-15-2011, 04:36 AM   #38
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SManZ View Post
Thanks for posting this!

For the retorquing of the propeller shaft bolts, there are two torque figures for the one bolt in the center of the 4WD Access Cab/Double Cab pdf diagram. Am I supposed to tighten to the first torque, loosen, and then tighten to the second? I'll need to look for this bolt...didn't notice it before. I have seen the others at the ends of the prop shafts.
I would assume that the first torque spec is to be sure that tha shaft is pulled all the way onto the splines, then you loosen the bolt then retorqe it to the recomended torque spec. This is a common procedure on alot of applications. This is probably the most time consuming of all the maintinence issues due to the fact you have to disassemble the u joint to get to the nut. May be a way to avoid having to do this but once, by using some thread locker on it. Probably the strongest would be best since you probably won't find yourself taking apart your driveshaft all that often. Good info, thanks to the OP.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:34 AM   #39
HB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to all
HB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by knayrb View Post
So I'm not a master mechanic by any means but I am quite handy and mechanical in nature. I'll pretty much attempt anything and 95% of the time succeed if I have the right tools and instructions. I also have a lazy streak in me and decided to take my truck in for the 30,000 dealer service. I tow, haul, and off-road a bit so I do feel that I could justify some early maintenance.

Of course the dealer's economy, enhanced, and premium packages have lots of extras included that the owner's manual doesn't. I didn't have everything done but it still cost me a cool $688.92 out the door. I'm very upset at myself because it was 117.35 in parts, 497.40 in labor, 30.00 shop fee crap, and 44.17 in taxes. In addition, when I got home there was a plastic part sitting in the windshield wiper well. They forgot to snap it back on one of the hose bends.

I could have saved myself over $500 doing stuff that isn't very hard, and using this site, even have instructions with pictures. I feel I would be more careful and precise also.

Here's what I had done:

- Front, rear, and transfer case oil changed (not hard)
- Spark plugs replaced (still not hard but time consuming)
- Drain and fill transmission (per their recommendations even though it's WS oil, not hard)
- 4-wheel alignment (I don't have the equipment so I don't feel bad)
- Fuel injector flush (I think this is stupid. I use Chevon and add some injector cleaner every 6 months. IMO same stuff.)
- Adjusted parking brake (not hard)
- Used shop supplies (I would use less than a half roll of paper towels)

Live and learn I guess.

Exactly why this thread exists! Well you got trans flush, alignment, and injectors cleaned, but those would be about $200-250.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #40
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO721 View Post
i have 28’6** on my ’07 TRD OR 4x4 v-6 mom say all that 30k man is BS. is it? or dose it really need to be done? i tried telling her it did need to be done. but she just says it’s a gimmick and it’s BS.

if it dose need to be done at 30k. should i get the stuff and do it my self? how much and hard would it be to do my self myself?
Your mom is right, it's the devil. Just joking, with my refeerence from the water boy. All the stuff for maintinence on these Tacoma's is preventative maintinence. Just because you don't do it right at 30k mi doesn't mean your truck is going to fall apart. I haven't re torqued the bolt on the propeller shaft yet, and I doubt toyota did it for the first 25k mi either. I do plan on getting to it soon, but gunna put some blue loctite on the threads and never do it again. As far as price goes for the parts, it all depends on the products you buy. You'll need 6 qts of gear oil for the diffs and t-case, and they run anywhere btwn $3 a qt to $20 a qt, then if ya need slip fluid for the rear it's another $5. Spark plugs are $4 a piece or more, I think stock, which are great are bout $3-4 and if ya get long life iridium, it'll run ya $8 a piece. If you do a drain n fill on your auto trans, the WS fluid is almost $10 a qt and manuals just take gear oil. Check other threads for how much ya need, but with the auto trans I would buy more cuz ya never know how much the trans is gonna let out, manual trans is pretty strait forward though. Then greazin the u joints, just get a lil greaz gun that comes with no.2 lithium and should be bout $10-20. Then engine oil n filter. Intake air filter $20, cabin air filter $20. Remember this is preventative maintinence, it prevents your vehicle from developing major problems n breakdowns in the future. Keep up with all the stuff and your truck will outlive you.