Ninja Status
julian parzival is on a distinguished road

Army:
Name: julian
julian parzival's Tacoma Gallery
SR5650R awesome, thanks!
Old 02-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #42
Beaver Believer
tencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 4th BCT 25th ID Airborne
Name: Wes
tencrawler's Tacoma Gallery
90K service next weekend. I have never had any complaints on how my truck runs, but I bought it with just a bit over 60K and I have always been leery that they may not have had the 60K service done. Either way, it has made it this long and now I'm going to make certain that the 90K and a few other services are taken care of. Just bookmarked all the applicable how-to stickies and ordering parts and fluids this evening after work. I will most likely take the obligatory pics and post some sort of "look what I did" post with little to no benefit to anyone except my own ego, but hey that's what half of TW is all about. Wish me luck.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #43
hawlisjawt is on a distinguished road

hawlisjawt's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for PDF !! Useful.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #44
Orion Antares is on a distinguished road
Orion Antares's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
Spark plugs are $4 a piece or more, I think stock, which are great are bout $3-4 and if ya get long life iridium, it'll run ya $8 a piece.
How much longer do the iridium plugs last?
Old 03-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
Supposed to last 100k. I am about to roll into 30k with the ones I have, and the truck runs just as good as when I put them in. I will still check the gap when I hit 60k and keep checking every 30k til I see the electrode has worn down too much.
Why do they use the other plugs then if the price difference is only a few dollars a plug? Is there actually a reason to use the shorter life plugs other than maintenance fees?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:56 AM   #47
Pcolaguy is on a distinguished road
Pcolaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Changing plugs in 2010 Tacoma V6

I followed the section on changing plugs and it was right on. I had purchased some Denso platinum plugs from a local auto parts store but decided to go with the Toyota OEM plugs just to be safe. The Toyota parts guy said that non-platinum plugs (standard resistor) were recommended. They were only a few bucks more but worth the peace of mind. Changing the plugs this first time only took me 1.5 hours and the next time will be even quicker. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:03 AM   #49
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
One thing also to consider for these maintenance items, find a reputable, honest, independent garage/mechanic. An independent shop charges about 1/3-1/2 of what the dealership charges. Maybe you do not have a place you can work on your truck. Maybe you do not have all of the tools. Developing a good relationship with a mechanic now for these maintenance items will give you a person to turn to for those items that will breakdown later. They happen, even on Tacomas.

My mechanic allows me to buy the parts I want, he then installs them for me on a flat rate(front shocks/struts), brake pads etc. This also covers me if something breaks(bolt, whatever), or is missing. He has or can get the part and finish the job, where I live 10 miles from the nearest anything and a broken bolt becomes a real pain in the ass, getting someone to come get me and take me someplace to get the right part.

I do the maintenance I can or feel comfortable with and take it to my mechanic when needed. I am fortunate in that I have found a few specialty shops, (leaf spring, automatic transmission, etc.) near me, that the automobile dealerships turn to when they can not fix an issue. That tells me how good they are.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcolaguy View Post
I followed the section on changing plugs and it was right on. I had purchased some Denso platinum plugs from a local auto parts store but decided to go with the Toyota OEM plugs just to be safe. The Toyota parts guy said that non-platinum plugs (standard resistor) were recommended. They were only a few bucks more but worth the peace of mind. Changing the plugs this first time only took me 1.5 hours and the next time will be even quicker. Thanks for sharing.
My service adviser said he didn't know why Toyota didn't offer long life plugs on the Tacoma. He said that if I wanted to use long life plugs that I should stay away from ACdelco and like brands and stick to NGK or Denso.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:53 AM   #51
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
My service adviser said he didn't know why Toyota didn't offer long life plugs on the Tacoma. He said that if I wanted to use long life plugs that I should stay away from ACdelco and like brands and stick to NGK or Denso.

Either go Denso Iridium long life, which they use in other toyotas, or go with the stock Denso plugs which you can buy at a parts store for 1/2 the price of the dealer. I've used all other plugs and I gotta say the only other plugs I liked were AC Delco copper for my older camaro and autolite for my lawnmower.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:55 AM   #52
MarAgt will become famous soon enoughMarAgt will become famous soon enough
Marines: Master Sergeant (Ret)
MarAgt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
Why do they use the other plugs then if the price difference is only a few dollars a plug? Is there actually a reason to use the shorter life plugs other than maintenance fees?
I am sure it's cost savings over the hundreds of thousands of vehicles they produce. It may not seem to be a lot, but 2 bucks over every spark plug over every vehicle built is a lot. Somewhere Toyota (and all vehicle manufacturers) decided there is a price point at which people will no longer by Tacomas (or any vehicle for that matter). If they put more expensive or higher end parts in their trucks, that directly affects their profit margin. If they used all of the high end parts everyone would like their trucks to be built with, rather than standard Toyota parts, we'd be buying and paying for Lexus Tacomas.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:56 AM   #53
OneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud of

OneMentalCase's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the great post....subbed....
Old 06-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #55
Tacoma T is on a distinguished road
Tacoma T's Tacoma Gallery
Hello, first post on the TW forum. Been lurking around in here for a few weeks.
This site is so cool. Learned more here than I have from the Chilton's.

Here is an excel file that I use to keep up with maintenance.
You can edit it to fit your needs/wants.
Attached Files
File Type: xls maintenance record.xls (108.0 KB, 231 views)
Old 06-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #56
stowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
stowayman's Tacoma Gallery
I was quote around $400 for the 60K svc. incl. front, rear and transfer case fluid change and fuel injection cleaning... mobil one syn oil for engine as well... I like taking it to the dealer here in Monterey, CA only for the major svcs... the minors I go to a good speedy lube place... making sure they hit the 5 lube points. I always use mobil 1 syn 5w 30 and toyota air/oil filters. Love these trucks... I feel it's worth it to service them properly with Toyota parts either yourself or professionally.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #57
Tacoma T is on a distinguished road
Tacoma T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stowayman View Post
... I feel it's worth it to service them properly with Toyota parts either yourself or professionally.
I agree. I use the Toyota oil filter but I usually put in a Fram A/F.
No particular reason for the Fram other than it's available at the one
parts store in Ardmore, TN. Mobil 1 synthetic.
I like the DIY and am still learning.
The Tacoma is nothing like the old 69 Camaro I worked on in high school.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #58
TRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
TRD6Speed's Tacoma Gallery
Great thread! Gonna save me a dime for sure.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #59
Ardo K is on a distinguished road

Name: Ardo
Ardo K's Tacoma Gallery
Hi everyone, i got a question regarding for the differential fluid. Ive been reading up on this site, i have a 2011 Tacoma Trd Sport 4x4 PreRunner 4.0L i called the dealer to find out what kind of differential fluid it takes i have 36K miles it has limited slip (shows Auto LSD) on the dash. Does anyone know what kind of of OEM differential fluid it take ive been getting GL5/75W-85. Also is Redline Differential fluid any good?

If anyone can help i'd really appreciate it ,
Thanks
Old 09-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #60
Ardo K is on a distinguished road

Name: Ardo
Ardo K's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma Differential Fluid

Hi everyone, i got a question regarding for the differential fluid. Ive been reading up on this site, i have a 2011 Tacoma Trd Sport 4x4 PreRunner 4.0L i called the dealer to find out what kind of differential fluid it takes i have 36K miles it has limited slip (shows Auto LSD) on the dash. Does anyone know what kind of of OEM differential fluid it take ive been getting GL5/75W-85. Also is Redline Differential fluid any good?

If anyone can help i'd really appreciate it ,
Thanks