Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Scheduled Maintenance (2nd gen) - 30,000 - 60,000 - 90,000 miles

Old 03-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #82
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by forealz View Post
So here's my situation:

I've got a 2007 PreRunner and it is now 2013. I just hit 15k miles on it.

I get regular oil changes and so on, but I'm wondering. Should I be getting like the 50 or 60k mile service done due to the age of the truck ?

Or should I only be doing the 15k mile service?

I've looked at the guide, but I'm not that savvy as many of you. I know I certainly cannot do the spark plugs on my own.

Thank you
If you look at how the service schedule is worded its time or miles, whichever comes first.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #83
HB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to all
HB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So here's my situation:

I get regular oil changes and so on, but I'm wondering. Should I be getting like the 50 or 60k mile service done due to the age of the truck ?

I've looked at the guide, but I'm not that savvy as many of you. I know I certainly cannot do the spark plugs on my own.

Thank you
I'd say brake fluid and filters as part of 15k service. I dont think spark plugs are necessary yet, they dont go bad from age just mi IMO. Has it been in storage? that could factor in. Tires could be cracking too?
Old 03-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #84
New guy
Ryan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic/ff reserve
Name: Ryan
Ryan DCFS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So here's my situation:

Thank you
The manual states that services should be performed to whatever comes first, mileage, or months for the stated service.

If the truck is 6 months old, but has 15,000 miles on it, you perform the 15k service, not the 5k/6month services.

If the truck is 48 months old, but has 10,000 miles on it, you perform the 40k/48 month service, as opposed to the 10k/12 month.

If you haven't done your 30k service at 6 years old, it's probably time (mandatory by the manual's standards).

I would probably do a full 30,000 or 60,000 mile service, with plugs, filters (air, cabin, oil), and maybe the rear diff.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #85
forealz is on a distinguished road
forealz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB Taco View Post
I'd say brake fluid and filters as part of 15k service. I dont think spark plugs are necessary yet, they dont go bad from age just mi IMO. Has it been in storage? that could factor in. Tires could be cracking too?
Tires are new, the BFG were rotting. Got some LTX MS2s.
It was part of a fleet before I got it from Carmax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan DCFS View Post
The manual states that services should be performed to whatever comes first, mileage, or months for the stated service.

If the truck is 6 months old, but has 15,000 miles on it, you perform the 15k service, not the 5k/6month services.

If the truck is 48 months old, but has 10,000 miles on it, you perform the 40k/48 month service, as opposed to the 10k/12 month.

If you haven't done your 30k service at 6 years old, it's probably time (mandatory by the manual's standards).

I would probably do a full 30,000 or 60,000 mile service, with plugs, filters (air, cabin, oil), and maybe the rear diff.
Ok, I think I can do rear diff and oil myself. I've got a new cabin filter in and a Pro Dry filter in myself. I might need Toyota to do the plugs and re-torquing and checking the U joints and stuff.

Really appreciate responses guys.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #86
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Great consolidation OP!
Old 04-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #87
TheITguy is on a distinguished road
TheITguy's Tacoma Gallery
I just made my last payment on my 2008 Tacoma 4x4.

And I only just put new front brakes on them and new tires a few months ago. (bought used tires for 1 year to get by.

I have only ever just changed the oil and not regularly.

I plan on doing almost everything now (not through a dealer) some myself, some through a mechanic just to make her feel "fresh" again.

She deserves it!
Old 05-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #88
I love snow!
chipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Girdwood Fire Department
Name: Anna
chipnoreo's Tacoma Gallery
Just hit 90k.... Should probably get on this!
Old 05-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #89
NightShades is on a distinguished road
NightShades's Tacoma Gallery
So... Going by the guide, I know I am missing some maintenance items... When does it call for the Coolant to be changed?

Anything else that should be done at 90,000 miles?
Old 07-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #91
WarrenH is on a distinguished road
WarrenH's Tacoma Gallery
2011 Sport TRD 30,000 Maint

I'm at 30,000 and had a free standard maint from the dealer, so they took care of the basics. I'm not 100% sure what needs done above and beyond this.

I've gone from the official Maintenance log.

I changed the spark plugs and rear differential oil. I haven't Lubed propeller shaft or re torqued the shaft bolt yet (I know that needs done).

The rest of the items on the list say "inspect" or are in the special operating conditions section. I've pulled a very light trailer with a couple dirt bikes and have very little off road use (in fact, just dirt roads at that not 4WD stuff). Seems like I wouldn't have to worry about the special operating section. I'm curious how a dealer handles the special operating conditions service items. Do they only do it if they think it has been used to tow or offroad, or do they do it regardless?

How do you inspect the front differential oil and transfer case? Pop the top bolt, check fluid level, and if the oil looks good?
Old 08-20-2013, 08:06 AM   #92
field76 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
field76's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 09-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #93
ag3nt0rang3 is on a distinguished road
ag3nt0rang3's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the write up!
Old 09-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #94
liftedf25099 is on a distinguished road
liftedf25099's Tacoma Gallery
ok first off im a newbie .. I cant find any info on this so im hoping someone will have some .. I have a 2011 Tacoma 4 door I have noticed people driving with their center parking lights on when I turn my parking lights on they come on at the corner not the center that is my turn signals ? how is this happening ive seen the fog light mod but this isn't a mod I don't believe
Old 09-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #95
Dog slave
Erik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
Erik65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by liftedf25099 View Post
ok first off im a newbie .. I cant find any info on this so im hoping someone will have some .. I have a 2011 Tacoma 4 door I have noticed people driving with their center parking lights on when I turn my parking lights on they come on at the corner not the center that is my turn signals ? how is this happening ive seen the fog light mod but this isn't a mod I don't believe
Does your rig have the daytime running lights? Sounds like it doesn't because the "center parking light" you refer to is the DRL I believe.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #96
Dog slave
Erik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
Erik65's Tacoma Gallery
Nice compilation of info!

My question, looking at the spark plug pics: Do you guys reduce the torque wrench setting? Using the anti-sieze and extensions on the ratchet will skew the actual torque applied to the plug to the high side IIRC...
Old 09-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #97
canucktacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: mike
canucktacoma's Tacoma Gallery
just finished all basics on my 08/4cyl.i have 154000km .bought used so i chngd rear end fluid/tranny fluid,@ 135km.did plugs /serp belt/rad fluid.@ 150km,all filters changed as well.saved quite a bit on parts/labour.wasn't all that hard either.chkd brakes when i put on snows,it's not rocket science,decent set of tools/patience.buy quality parts..ask friends if not sure how to..
Old 09-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #98
wheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Kevin
wheelerkr2's Tacoma Gallery
Just started my 60,000 mile maintenance. Put the K&N drop in air filter today, plan to do the limited slip dif oil sometime next week, as for the other stuff i'll have to wait until I go to my parents house to use my dad's tools. How hard is it to re-torque the propeller shaft bolt? the diagrams confused me?
Old 09-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #99
Covington is on a distinguished road

Covington's Tacoma Gallery
Trans service cost

What can I expect to pay for the 60k mile tranny service? I have an '08 Tacoma Prerunner V6 4 dr. 6 cyl. One shop estimated $89.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:34 PM   #100
panicfan is just really nicepanicfan is just really nicepanicfan is just really nicepanicfan is just really nice

panicfan's Tacoma Gallery
thanks!