1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Programming Keyless Entry Remotes

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by navysob, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Sep 26, 2007 at 4:07 PM
    navysob

navysob [OP] Carolina Alliance: Virginia Beach and Greenville

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 SR5
    28/20 Tint, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, 3" AAL's, Front Level Kit, Gas Shocks in the Rear, Tow Hitch, Black Step-Bars, Bull Bar, Off Road Lights
    Hey Everyone,
    When I got my truck, the dealer only supplied me with one remote. I received two more today, however, they want $95 to program them. I know there has to be a way for me to do it. If anyone knows how, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Sean

2. Sep 26, 2007 at 5:42 PM
    Spacedude

Spacedude Well-Known Member

Member:
    Campbell, CA.
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner TRD Off-Road Indigo
    Bed mat, Access Limited Edition tonneau cover, DeeZee Elite nerf bars, AVS Bugflector II, Toyota aluminum skid plate, Toyota TRD seat covers.
    That's crazy, they are required to supply you with two. When I bought my 07 prerunner, they had "misplaced" them and I had to come back to the dealer so they could program new ones. Unfortunately, they need to have your vehicle there with your new remotes to program them. Is this a brand new truck?

3. Sep 27, 2007 at 7:27 AM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    Speaking of these keyless remotes -- is anyone else annoyed at the size of the combined remote and key? I'm a guy, I carry these along with the house key, wife car's key, etc. in my pocket all day. Is there some aftermarket product that will be smaller? I've seen some Hondas that combine the remote and key into a single piece. I'm not sure that would be an improvement, but it seems like it at this stage.

4. Sep 27, 2007 at 6:24 PM
    navysob

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 SR5
    28/20 Tint, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, 3" AAL's, Front Level Kit, Gas Shocks in the Rear, Tow Hitch, Black Step-Bars, Bull Bar, Off Road Lights
    GOT IT!! Now I have three keyless entry remotes!!

Thanks!

5. Sep 28, 2007 at 10:44 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    how did they get programmed? did you do it yourself or have the dealer do it? i lost one of mine in the lake and have to go buy another one and really dont want to pay out the ass for it

6. Sep 28, 2007 at 11:37 AM
    navysob

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 SR5
    Hey Man...

DON'T GO TO THE DEALER!!! :eek:

Get the remote from an online company. I found them for under $50. The programming takes a matter of a few minutes. It is easy to do it yourself, if the dealer has they have to do it, tell them they are full of it. Dont get the remotes from the dealer either, they will charge you an arm and a leg.

For the remotes, go with either E-Bay or try http://www.remotesandkeys.com/

The programing, I can e-mail you if you would like, or they even come's with some of the remotes.

Hope this Helps! :)

7. Sep 28, 2007 at 11:44 AM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    Can you email that to me? I don't need it right now but I am historically hard on remotes. I would appreciate it...

8. Sep 28, 2007 at 2:16 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    thanks for the advice navy. i still have 2 keys and one remote, but my other key and remote is at the bottom of lake hartwell. I know they charge alot for just the key alone since it has that stupid chip in it, but i'll go the cheap route for the remote when i get it. do you mind shooting that email my way? ndcouch@gmail.com

9. Sep 28, 2007 at 6:34 PM
    Spacedude

Spacedude Well-Known Member

Member:
    Campbell, CA.
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner TRD Off-Road Indigo
    Bed mat, Access Limited Edition tonneau cover, DeeZee Elite nerf bars, AVS Bugflector II, Toyota aluminum skid plate, Toyota TRD seat covers.
    Navysob,
    Please tell us how the programming is actually done. I had to go back to the dealer twice because they had ordered the wrong ones after loosing the originals. Arrrrrggg:mad:

10. Sep 29, 2007 at 8:06 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    I guess it would help if I gave you my email address. Duh!
    robert at hoppas dot com
    Thanks!

11. Oct 3, 2007 at 7:08 PM
    L_Jackson

L_Jackson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Sand Pearl PreRunner Acce
    Tinted Windows, Tow Hitch, 3" Toytec Lift, American Racing Outlaw II Wheels, Cooper Discoverer 33's, Aries Bull Bar w/ (2) 5" Lights, Nerf Bars, Fog Lights as DTR Lights, Roll Bar w/ (4) 5" Lights, Sony Speakers, 2 Extra Tie Downs
    I know what you mean about the size of keys... grrrr :mad:

i have a chrystler 300 for a company car, and they combined keyless entry with the key and it looks like crocadile dun dee's knife!! i didn't think i'd make it through airport security with it! :frusty:

i just got keyless entry today on my taco and the remote isn't too bad. it beats manually unlockin the door for me and my wife!

Products Discussed in

To Top