Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Programming Keyless Entry Remotes

Old 09-26-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
Carolina Alliance: Virginia Beach and Greenville
navysob is on a distinguished road

Navy: Report to my next station in two weeks!!!
Name: Sean
navysob's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to navysob Send a message via Yahoo to navysob
Red face Programming Keyless Entry Remotes

Hey Everyone,
When I got my truck, the dealer only supplied me with one remote. I received two more today, however, they want $95 to program them. I know there has to be a way for me to do it. If anyone knows how, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sean
Old 09-26-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
Spacedude is on a distinguished road

Spacedude's Tacoma Gallery
That's crazy, they are required to supply you with two. When I bought my 07 prerunner, they had "misplaced" them and I had to come back to the dealer so they could program new ones. Unfortunately, they need to have your vehicle there with your new remotes to program them. Is this a brand new truck?
Old 09-27-2007, 07:27 AM   #3
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Speaking of these keyless remotes -- is anyone else annoyed at the size of the combined remote and key? I'm a guy, I carry these along with the house key, wife car's key, etc. in my pocket all day. Is there some aftermarket product that will be smaller? I've seen some Hondas that combine the remote and key into a single piece. I'm not sure that would be an improvement, but it seems like it at this stage.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:24 PM   #4

navysob's Tacoma Gallery
GOT IT!! Now I have three keyless entry remotes!!

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2007, 10:44 AM   #5
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
how did they get programmed? did you do it yourself or have the dealer do it? i lost one of mine in the lake and have to go buy another one and really dont want to pay out the ass for it
Old 09-28-2007, 11:37 AM   #6

navysob's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
how did they get programmed? did you do it yourself or have the dealer do it? i lost one of mine in the lake and have to go buy another one and really dont want to pay out the ass for it
Hey Man...

DON'T GO TO THE DEALER!!!

Get the remote from an online company. I found them for under $50. The programming takes a matter of a few minutes. It is easy to do it yourself, if the dealer has they have to do it, tell them they are full of it. Dont get the remotes from the dealer either, they will charge you an arm and a leg.

For the remotes, go with either E-Bay or try http://www.remotesandkeys.com/

The programing, I can e-mail you if you would like, or they even come's with some of the remotes.

Hope this Helps!
Old 09-28-2007, 02:16 PM   #8
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the advice navy. i still have 2 keys and one remote, but my other key and remote is at the bottom of lake hartwell. I know they charge alot for just the key alone since it has that stupid chip in it, but i'll go the cheap route for the remote when i get it. do you mind shooting that email my way? ndcouch@gmail.com
Old 09-28-2007, 06:34 PM   #9
Spacedude is on a distinguished road

Spacedude's Tacoma Gallery
Navysob,
Please tell us how the programming is actually done. I had to go back to the dealer twice because they had ordered the wrong ones after loosing the originals. Arrrrrggg
Old 09-29-2007, 08:06 PM   #10
Land of Oz
rhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rhoppas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoppas View Post
Can you email that to me? I don't need it right now but I am historically hard on remotes. I would appreciate it...
I guess it would help if I gave you my email address. Duh!
robert at hoppas dot com
Thanks!
Old 10-03-2007, 07:08 PM   #11
L_Jackson is on a distinguished road

Army: Avenger Crew Member - 1st Cav 98-01
L_Jackson's Tacoma Gallery
I know what you mean about the size of keys... grrrr

i have a chrystler 300 for a company car, and they combined keyless entry with the key and it looks like crocadile dun dee's knife!! i didn't think i'd make it through airport security with it!

i just got keyless entry today on my taco and the remote isn't too bad. it beats manually unlockin the door for me and my wife!