1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clunking when I start the truck

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by chasebrooks14, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Jan 14, 2014 at 12:13 PM
    chasebrooks14

chasebrooks14 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Dahlonega, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2008 Acura TSX (RIP LaToya)
    Mickey Thompson Classic iii, Green LED interior floor lights, After market Kenwood touch screen radio, 20% window tint, Blacked out bumpers and grill, blacked out tail lights, Pioneer door speakers, bed lined toolbox, LED tailgate light bar w/ reverse lights, Bilstein 5100 all 4 corners and top setting up front, Trd Coils, New 1.5" lift leaf pack and shackles, White gages with blue needles. 32x11.5 Cooper STTs, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers
    a few weeks back I replaced my brake booster and afterward when I went to start it up, and right before the engine catches, it makes this loud clunking noise. it sounds like I dropped a tool and its being slung around. im sure just replacing the starter will fix this but I just wanna see if its some other problem.

2. Jan 14, 2014 at 12:25 PM
    WildLand

WildLand Does Ursus arctos defecate in deciduous forest?

Member:
    First Name:
    Fish
    NM
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra
    Gah, mine does the same thing. When ever I accelerate there is a clunk noise. Ive read some things and here are some quotes I found:

"I noticed the transmission mount at the output of the trans is made to move up and down along a bolt shoulder. Upon further inspection, the entire rear trans mount is a rubber mount, and this thing binds when you stop. I cut 3 pieces of rubber in a 3" diameter "donut" shape, slit the sides of the donut and placed them around the shoulder bolt to reduce the travel space of the mount. No more clunk! Free fix. No mechanics telling me its "normal" either!"

"Also had this problem on a 2000 Tacoma Pre Runner TRD. Dealer said it was the rear locker, and was normal, but I also found that my drive shaft spline was not properly lubed, or low grade grease was used. Refilled with Lucas Red n Tacky #2 (high temp/high shear) and the problem was fixed."

and here is something my dad sent me http://www.yotatech.com/f2/tacoma-clunk-2627/

dont know if its the same thing but my clunk is coming from the rear

3. Jan 14, 2014 at 12:33 PM
    chasebrooks14

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Dahlonega, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Mickey Thompson Classic iii, Green LED interior floor lights, After market Kenwood touch screen radio, 20% window tint, Blacked out bumpers and grill, blacked out tail lights, Pioneer door speakers, bed lined toolbox, LED tailgate light bar w/ reverse lights, Bilstein 5100 all 4 corners and top setting up front, Trd Coils, New 1.5" lift leaf pack and shackles, White gages with blue needles. 32x11.5 Cooper STTs, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

your problem is axle wrap. Mine does the same thing. Its because the leaf springs are worn and old and the separate whenever accelerating, causing the axle to "wrap" upwards. then whenever you come to a stop, it "clunks" down. you can fix this with traction bars or a cheaper alternative is something like this. just get a Ubolt type clamp and tighten the shit out of it and bam! no more axle wrap!

tacomaworld.jpg

4. Jan 14, 2014 at 12:41 PM
    WildLand

WildLand Does Ursus arctos defecate in deciduous forest?

Member:
    First Name:
    Fish
    NM
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra
    Oh... well hell yeah! I thought it was something with the leafs...
    Thanks for solving my problem and hope yours gets figure out too :D

5. Jan 14, 2014 at 1:36 PM
    chasebrooks14

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Dahlonega, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Haha no problem! Thanks dude!

Products Discussed in

To Top