LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Clunking when I start the truck

Old 01-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
chasebrooks14 will become famous soon enoughchasebrooks14 will become famous soon enough

Name: Chase
chasebrooks14's Tacoma Gallery
Clunking when I start the truck

a few weeks back I replaced my brake booster and afterward when I went to start it up, and right before the engine catches, it makes this loud clunking noise. it sounds like I dropped a tool and its being slung around. im sure just replacing the starter will fix this but I just wanna see if its some other problem.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
Keep It Wild. KCCO
WildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
WildLand's Tacoma Gallery
Gah, mine does the same thing. When ever I accelerate there is a clunk noise. Ive read some things and here are some quotes I found:

"I noticed the transmission mount at the output of the trans is made to move up and down along a bolt shoulder. Upon further inspection, the entire rear trans mount is a rubber mount, and this thing binds when you stop. I cut 3 pieces of rubber in a 3" diameter "donut" shape, slit the sides of the donut and placed them around the shoulder bolt to reduce the travel space of the mount. No more clunk! Free fix. No mechanics telling me its "normal" either!"

"Also had this problem on a 2000 Tacoma Pre Runner TRD. Dealer said it was the rear locker, and was normal, but I also found that my drive shaft spline was not properly lubed, or low grade grease was used. Refilled with Lucas Red n Tacky #2 (high temp/high shear) and the problem was fixed."

and here is something my dad sent me http://www.yotatech.com/f2/tacoma-clunk-2627/

dont know if its the same thing but my clunk is coming from the rear
Old 01-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
chasebrooks14 will become famous soon enoughchasebrooks14 will become famous soon enough

Name: Chase
chasebrooks14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgcowboy View Post
Gah, mine does the same thing. When ever I accelerate there is a clunk noise. Ive read some things and here are some quotes I found:

"I noticed the transmission mount at the output of the trans is made to move up and down along a bolt shoulder. Upon further inspection, the entire rear trans mount is a rubber mount, and this thing binds when you stop. I cut 3 pieces of rubber in a 3" diameter "donut" shape, slit the sides of the donut and placed them around the shoulder bolt to reduce the travel space of the mount. No more clunk! Free fix. No mechanics telling me its "normal" either!"

"Also had this problem on a 2000 Tacoma Pre Runner TRD. Dealer said it was the rear locker, and was normal, but I also found that my drive shaft spline was not properly lubed, or low grade grease was used. Refilled with Lucas Red n Tacky #2 (high temp/high shear) and the problem was fixed."

and here is something my dad sent me http://www.yotatech.com/f2/tacoma-clunk-2627/

dont know if its the same thing but my clunk is coming from the rear

your problem is axle wrap. Mine does the same thing. Its because the leaf springs are worn and old and the separate whenever accelerating, causing the axle to "wrap" upwards. then whenever you come to a stop, it "clunks" down. you can fix this with traction bars or a cheaper alternative is something like this. just get a Ubolt type clamp and tighten the shit out of it and bam! no more axle wrap!
Attached Thumbnails
Clunking when I start the truck-tacomaworld.jpg  
Old 01-14-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
Keep It Wild. KCCO
WildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildLand is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
WildLand's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasebrooks14 View Post
your problem is axle wrap. Mine does the same thing. Its because the leaf springs are worn and old and the separate whenever accelerating, causing the axle to "wrap" upwards. then whenever you come to a stop, it "clunks" down. you can fix this with traction bars or a cheaper alternative is something like this. just get a Ubolt type clamp and tighten the shit out of it and bam! no more axle wrap!
Oh... well hell yeah! I thought it was something with the leafs...
Thanks for solving my problem and hope yours gets figure out too