LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

hesitation or delay after putting in D

Old 01-17-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
HB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to all
HB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
hesitation or delay after putting in D

As the title states my truck (11 Tacoma 4.0 AT) seems to hesitate or maybe best described as a delay when you try to accelerate right after putting it in D. Only happens in that case ie if you take it out of gear for whatever reason then put in in D and step on the gas. It's done it for a long time maybe since new. It only happens right after shifting into D. The only time its a problem is if you go to make a U turn for example - You don't quite make it around so you have to back up a little then go forward in a hurry because someone is coming. I drop it into D them step on the gas and it barely moves for a second or two then goes??? It doesn't rev up just waits for a second? I have no other acceleration issues otherwise. Is that normal for the newer trucks? My warranty will be up (basic 3 yr) and I want to see if other people have this issue or not. For normal driving or starting when already in gear it runs perfect.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB Taco View Post
As the title states my truck (11 Tacoma 4.0 AT) seems to hesitate or maybe best described as a delay when you try to accelerate right after putting it in D. Only happens in that case ie if you take it out of gear for whatever reason then put in in D and step on the gas. It's done it for a long time maybe since new. It only happens right after shifting into D. The only time its a problem is if you go to make a U turn for example - You don't quite make it around so you have to back up a little then go forward in a hurry because someone is coming. I drop it into D them step on the gas and it barely moves for a second or two then goes??? It doesn't rev up just waits for a second? I have no other acceleration issues otherwise. Is that normal for the newer trucks? My warranty will be up (basic 3 yr) and I want to see if other people have this issue or not. For normal driving or starting when already in gear it runs perfect.
It's normal. My 2008 did it and my 2010 does it. I think it's a "protection" feature of modern transmissions to prevent neutral dropping and shocking the transmission with too much torque from abusive driving habits. That's pure speculation though.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:48 PM   #3
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
My truck does this, I've learned to just hesitate for a second after shifting into D. I regularly get stopped by long trains on my way home .. 150+ car coal trains going north. Sometimes I'm exhausted and put it in P and relax. If I relax too much, I go to D fast and notice the hesitation.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:18 AM   #4
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified internet mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
Are you guys sure your transmission fluid is full with the engine running in park ?
Have noted that a lot of units are low on fluid directly from the factory causing the issues you are describing .
This write up tells you how to check it properly :

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nsmission.html
Might be worth checking rather than starving the trans of fluid .
I am fairly certain that a delay to forward is not a normal condition for the A750 .
Low on fluid condition when turning sharp corners is a tell tail sign that the trans is low , however , its possible Aisn Warner may be copying GM .GM use to use an abuse valve in the transmission valve body on the police cars which prevented neutral drops as officers were smoking transmissions for this very reason .
My trans goes into drive range forward immediately with idle at 700 rpm .
Old 01-23-2014, 05:31 AM   #5
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does this to. Did it before and after a tranny fluid pan drain. Nermal....
Old 01-23-2014, 05:38 AM   #6
Boone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
It's normal. My 2008 did it and my 2010 does it. I think it's a "protection" feature of modern transmissions to prevent neutral dropping and shocking the transmission with too much torque from abusive driving habits. That's pure speculation though.
Seems like a viable explanation. Have yet to experience it in the truck though.
In all likelihood, if I hesitated or delayed after putting in the D, my girlfriend would probably be long gone. Lets hope that doesn't happen in the foreseeable future.