1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

hesitation or delay after putting in D

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by HB Taco, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Jan 17, 2014 at 12:17 PM
    HB Taco

HB Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 F150 FX4 S Crew 3.5 TT
    As the title states my truck (11 Tacoma 4.0 AT) seems to hesitate or maybe best described as a delay when you try to accelerate right after putting it in D. Only happens in that case ie if you take it out of gear for whatever reason then put in in D and step on the gas. It's done it for a long time maybe since new. It only happens right after shifting into D. The only time its a problem is if you go to make a U turn for example - You don't quite make it around so you have to back up a little then go forward in a hurry because someone is coming. I drop it into D them step on the gas and it barely moves for a second or two then goes??? It doesn't rev up just waits for a second? I have no other acceleration issues otherwise. Is that normal for the newer trucks? My warranty will be up (basic 3 yr) and I want to see if other people have this issue or not. For normal driving or starting when already in gear it runs perfect.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  2. Jan 22, 2014 at 9:46 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    It's normal. My 2008 did it and my 2010 does it. I think it's a "protection" feature of modern transmissions to prevent neutral dropping and shocking the transmission with too much torque from abusive driving habits. That's pure speculation though.

3. Jan 22, 2014 at 9:48 PM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    My truck does this, I've learned to just hesitate for a second after shifting into D. I regularly get stopped by long trains on my way home .. 150+ car coal trains going north. Sometimes I'm exhausted and put it in P and relax. If I relax too much, I go to D fast and notice the hesitation.

4. Jan 23, 2014 at 5:18 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Are you guys sure your transmission fluid is full with the engine running in park ?
    Have noted that a lot of units are low on fluid directly from the factory causing the issues you are describing .
    This write up tells you how to check it properly :

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/68462-diy-full-flush-automatic-transmission.html
    Might be worth checking rather than starving the trans of fluid .
    I am fairly certain that a delay to forward is not a normal condition for the A750 .
    Low on fluid condition when turning sharp corners is a tell tail sign that the trans is low , however , its possible Aisn Warner may be copying GM .GM use to use an abuse valve in the transmission valve body on the police cars which prevented neutral drops as officers were smoking transmissions for this very reason .
    My trans goes into drive range forward immediately with idle at 700 rpm .

5. Jan 23, 2014 at 5:31 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Mine does this to. Did it before and after a tranny fluid pan drain. Nermal....

6. Jan 23, 2014 at 5:38 AM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
    Seems like a viable explanation. Have yet to experience it in the truck though.
    In all likelihood, if I hesitated or delayed after putting in the D, my girlfriend would probably be long gone. Lets hope that doesn't happen in the foreseeable future.

Products Discussed in

To Top