Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Consequences of backwards jumper cables

Old 03-22-2009, 07:01 AM   #1
teddc4 is on a distinguished road
teddc4's Tacoma Gallery
Consequences of backwards jumper cables

Last night, I was helping a buddy of mine who needed a jump. It wasn't the first time I helped him with a jump, so I trusted that he was going to hook up the jumper cables correctly without my supervision. After about 10-15 seconds when his battery began to smoke, I freaked out and realized what he had done. So...

Everything SEEMS fine right now- truck starts fine, all gauges, radio, lights, etc. seem to be in tact...but what other damage could have been done that I am not seeing (fuses, relays, battery, etc?). I am pretty freaked out about this. I feel that there might be something down the road that might turn up from this major gaffe.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:50 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW.
Anydamage that would have been done would have showed itself immediatley. I think your fine. I never trust anyone to hook up jumpers. I do it, or they dont get jumped.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:54 AM   #3
Go Vick ??? Go Birds !!!
Rtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rtrn2taco's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW. I agree with the above statement you would know by now.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
teddc4's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty sure?

So, no need to take it down for an electrical diagnosis if there are no signs of problems? Do you think this shaved a bit of life off my own battery?

Appreciate the help.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:59 AM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddc4 View Post
So, no need to take it down for an electrical diagnosis if there are no signs of problems? Do you think this shaved a bit of life off my own battery?

Appreciate the help.
I dont know if your batttery was affected. No way to tell if "life" was lost from it. I think your fine.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
teddc4's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks again. It seems I got lucky. I've heard some horror stories so I panicked a bit. Never again will I let someone do the hook up...even close friends.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #7
teddc4's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, I saw my black negative cable running to his positive and flipped out. We went to replace his battery today and his radio was fried. He's lucky, everything else was in working order.

So far, my truck still seems fine.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
wawireguy is on a distinguished road
wawireguy's Tacoma Gallery
And you shouldn't be making your last connection to the battery either. Should be to the frame for the last or both neg connections in case there is some hydrogen coming out of that battery.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
rpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to behold

rpoint16's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddc4 View Post

Appreciate the help.
If it's still under warranty, take it in and ask for a electrical diagnosis. Tell them something like intermittent turnover, etc... Free peice of mind.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:07 PM   #10
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I just got a portable battery jumper. It wont turn on if the cables are not on properly. Pretty sweet. Already used it once and I've had it less than a week.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #11
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
I just got a portable battery jumper. It wont turn on if the cables are not on properly. Pretty sweet. Already used it once and I've had it less than a week.
That portable battery jumper...is it that machine or batter i guess that provides its own power to jump cars
Old 03-22-2009, 07:18 PM   #12
toyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Grunt
Name: Eric
toyohtadude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawireguy View Post
And you shouldn't be making your last connection to the battery either. Should be to the frame for the last or both neg connections in case there is some hydrogen coming out of that battery.
Words of wisdom to heed here...

Step one is POS to POS
Step two is Frame to Frame for ground.