LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

06 lurching/hesitating/surging/searching when accelerating uphill.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
06 lurching/hesitating/surging/searching when accelerating uphill.

Anyone know what this could be? When climbing hill/mountain roads my truck seems to "shift" up and down constantly until I crest the hill or give it more gas to actually shift. I use the quotes around shift the first time because the rpms don't move during the "shifting". It feels like I'm feathering the gas pedal. I believe it to be the Torque converter locking and unlocking. Why would it do this?
2006 4x4 auto sr5, 120k miles, no cel codes.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #2
Banned
Black Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Black Pipe's Tacoma Gallery
has this guy been driving your truck?

~Black Pipe
Old 01-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
33yrsoftoys is on a distinguished road
Name: joel
33yrsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
bump for an actual answer/suggestion?
Hey sandman, as long as everything else acts normal don't get too concerned, yet. It's probably your converter locking in and out as you said. Its lockup is directly related to engine torque. Poor quality winter BLENDS of gas and air density affect torque. I can't tell more without a test drive but, again, if everything else seems normal, and your fluid levels are good, try a different brand of gas and go from there. Hope this helps.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #5
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33yrsoftoys View Post
Hey sandman, as long as everything else acts normal don't get too concerned, yet. It's probably your converter locking in and out as you said. Its lockup is directly related to engine torque. Poor quality winter BLENDS of gas and air density affect torque. I can't tell more without a test drive but, again, if everything else seems normal, and your fluid levels are good, try a different brand of gas and go from there. Hope this helps.
It's been going on for a while (months). It's not just once or twice it's pretty continuous (starts to feel like you're in a rocking chair) as long as I'm going up a grade or hard throttle. I can get out of the hesitation if "drop it to passing gear" or downshift on my own. It was pretty bad driving through the mountains in Virginia. The whole weekend trip (shoecreek) I was running Super Unleaded.

I'll be changing the trans fluid and adding a tranny cooler sometime soon. We'll see if the new fluid changes anything.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:29 PM   #6
Quote:
It's been going on for a while (months). It's not just once or twice it's pretty continuous (starts to feel like you're in a rocking chair) as long as I'm going up a grade or hard throttle. I can get out of the hesitation if "drop it to passing gear" or downshift on my own. It was pretty bad driving through the mountains in Virginia. The whole weekend trip (shoecreek) I was running Super Unleaded.

I'll be changing the trans fluid and adding a tranny cooler sometime soon. We'll see if the new fluid changes anything.
Damn, I was hoping that wasn't the case. A trans flush might help. It could be a solenoid problem. Its a pressure switch that's in the valve body(the valves that control the shift) that locks the converter. Most modern autos semi lock or lock the converter in several gears. Do you notice any shifting changes in any other gear?
Old 01-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #7
LRGRNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33yrsoftoys View Post
Damn, I was hoping that wasn't the case. A trans flush might help. It could be a solenoid problem. Its a pressure switch that's in the valve body(the valves that control the shift) that locks the converter. Most modern autos semi lock or lock the converter in several gears. Do you notice any shifting changes in any other gear?
Yea. I've noticed it in 4 and D. If the fresh fluid doesn't help I'm afraid it might be clogged cats. Another member had this same issue and that was his solution, after he changed every part on his truck (first gen).
Old 01-24-2014, 04:52 PM   #8
Quote:
Yea. I've noticed it in 4 and D. If the fresh fluid doesn't help I'm afraid it might be clogged cats. Another member had this same issue and that was his solution, after he changed every part on his truck (first gen).
That sure could be with it locking in and out in more than one gear. I'd look for a loss in HP or torque. If your trans fluid looks good(the right color) and doesn't smell, (like burned pork chops), your trans probably isn't the problem. If you can access a trans pressure guage, you could check your fluid pressure. Drag cars have them on their guage pack. That would be another sign it's the trans. I think a HP issue is more probable though. Hope this helps.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:13 AM   #9
Chiefs05taco is on a distinguished road
Navy: Chief Petty Officer
Name: Nate
Chiefs05taco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm very interested with your findings on this. I've been battling this on my 2005 for a while myself. I've tried everything from plugs, air filters and even ran a can or two of sea foam through it to clean out the intake system and I think that has clogged up the cats good now as I am getting the P0420 code off and on and some very big vibrations at low speed, low RPM, and low throttle. At this point I'm about read to just change out stock manifolds for some long tubes(which I've found is cheaper than OEM replacements) and deleting those first two CATs.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:09 AM   #10
LRGRNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefs05taco View Post
I'm very interested with your findings on this. I've been battling this on my 2005 for a while myself. I've tried everything from plugs, air filters and even ran a can or two of sea foam through it to clean out the intake system and I think that has clogged up the cats good now as I am getting the P0420 code off and on and some very big vibrations at low speed, low RPM, and low throttle. At this point I'm about read to just change out stock manifolds for some long tubes(which I've found is cheaper than OEM replacements) and deleting those first two CATs.
Changing the Trans fluid did not help. It was needed anyways but I still have the same symptoms.
In your case receiving the codes I would look first at the cats. Remember they are under warranty until 80,000 miles. If you are in warranty but would rather have long tunes I would like to get the warranty replacement cats from you.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #11
Chiefs05taco is on a distinguished road
Navy: Chief Petty Officer
Name: Nate
Chiefs05taco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sitting at a little over 187,000 miles. So no warranty work for me.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:27 PM   #12
LRGRNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefs05taco View Post
I'm sitting at a little over 187,000 miles. So no warranty work for me.
Bummer. Just changed out my passenger manifold 121k miles, changed the driver side around 98k miles. It's too early to tell if anything is different. I'll let you know.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:07 PM   #13
XamXam is on a distinguished road

XamXam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Changing the Trans fluid did not help. It was needed anyways but I still have the same symptoms.
In your case receiving the codes I would look first at the cats. Remember they are under warranty until 80,000 miles. If you are in warranty but would rather have long tunes I would like to get the warranty replacement cats from you.
I pulled secondary filters and reset ecu on 06 4.0L with very noticeable improvement in response and acceleration from 50 mph and up. You will read a lot of people who pulled secondary filters with no noticeable change. It worked surprisingly well for me. With that being said; torque conv., solenoid, cats, and 1001 other issues could be the problem.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #14
LRGRNR

Changing out the passenger side manifold. Trying to rid myself of this surging. 121781 miles

Edit: Pretty sure the surging is gone. I haven't driven to far out of town but around town I don't feel it.