Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

4x4 noise-help

Old 01-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #1
tClay07 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
tClay07's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 noise-help

So when I engage my truck into four wheel drive, everything is fine and it goes into gear smoothly, but when I push the button o take it out of four wheel drive it not only takes a little while (10 seconds or so) but it makes a loud, hard clank and I can feel a jerk. Does anyone know why this can be and how I can fix it?

Ps. I just changed my transfer case oil and am goin to do the front diff today.

Thanks,Tyler
Old 01-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery
If it sounds fine when its engaged I wouldn't worry about it, my locker makes a good clank when it i disengage it but as long as its not noisy during use I wouldn't worry
Old 01-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
snowytop77 is on a distinguished road
Name: Neal
snowytop77's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does the same exact thing and continues to get worse over time. I know my problem isn't the locker, because I don't have a locker...no TRD . At first (a couple years ago or so) it only happened occasionally and it was much softer and not as loud, but now it happens almost every time I disengage the 4WD. It has become very loud and sends a jolt through the vehicle that feels much like hitting a good sized pot-hole! I've tried disengaging it in configurations such as: in-gear, in-neutral at freeway speeds, slow speeds and also completely stopped and it still does it. It is also really hard to tell where the noise and jolt is coming from, but is definitely from the cab forward. Based on my experience driving 4WDs (my whole driving career) I would say there is something definitely bad going on here. I would like to fix this on my own, so if someone here has any suggestions to trouble-shoot this I sure would appreciate your help. For now I'm not using my 4WD...please help! Thanks
Old 01-23-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
devil1 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
devil1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowytop77 View Post
Mine does the same exact thing and continues to get worse over time. I know my problem isn't the locker, because I don't have a locker...no TRD . At first (a couple years ago or so) it only happened occasionally and it was much softer and not as loud, but now it happens almost every time I disengage the 4WD. It has become very loud and sends a jolt through the vehicle that feels much like hitting a good sized pot-hole! I've tried disengaging it in configurations such as: in-gear, in-neutral at freeway speeds, slow speeds and also completely stopped and it still does it. It is also really hard to tell where the noise and jolt is coming from, but is definitely from the cab forward. Based on my experience driving 4WDs (my whole driving career) I would say there is something definitely bad going on here. I would like to fix this on my own, so if someone here has any suggestions to trouble-shoot this I sure would appreciate your help. For now I'm not using my 4WD...please help! Thanks
When was the last time you changed the fluid in the transfer case? My 2013 did this after I went through some really deep water and when I checked the transfer case oil there was water in it. I changed it and used synthetic gear oil and it doesnt make any noise at all when going in and out of 4wd.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:53 AM   #5
I must admit I've only checked the level once, but it was where it should be at that time. I'll take another look and maybe change it to synthetic?
Thanks for the reply...I've been surprised that I haven't got more on this issue. Should this be posted somewhere else?
Old 01-25-2014, 11:27 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
What are you doing when you're disengaging?

If there is any 'torque' against the driveline - it will have a harder time engaing & disengaging.

If your wheels are turned.... If you're on a hill..... If you're driving and on the gas..... can make it harder to engage or disengage.

You wanna be on a flat surface, not turning, and/or not applying the gas when driving.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:30 PM   #7
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
What are you doing when you're disengaging?

If there is any 'torque' against the driveline - it will have a harder time engaing & disengaging.

If your wheels are turned.... If you're on a hill..... If you're driving and on the gas..... can make it harder to engage or disengage.

You wanna be on a flat surface, not turning, and/or not applying the gas when driving.

This.
Get on a flat surface. Drive straight 10-15 feet to remove any bind that might be in the driveline. Then dis-engage 4wd.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:33 PM   #8
Thanks for the replies. I've tried it in every possible situation I can think of. Even stopped, in neutral just idling and it still makes the popping sound and sends a jolt through the vehicle, although not as loud or violent as when moving. It is noticeably louder when turned at nearly full-lock.

I once had a pinion shaft snap in-two on a jeep xj, the sound it made sounds a lot like what the taco has going on. So it has me a bit worried!

With the trans in neutral I crawled under it today and grabbed the driveline directly behind the transfer case and twisted back n forth, while doing this there is a dinging sound inside the case (like a bell would make). Not sure if that's normal?

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-25-2014, 06:17 PM   #9
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowytop77 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I've tried it in every possible situation I can think of. Even stopped, in neutral just idling and it still makes the popping sound and sends a jolt through the vehicle, although not as loud or violent as when moving. It is noticeably louder when turned at nearly full-lock.

I once had a pinion shaft snap in-two on a jeep xj, the sound it made sounds a lot like what the taco has going on. So it has me a bit worried!

With the trans in neutral I crawled under it today and grabbed the driveline directly behind the transfer case and twisted back n forth, while doing this there is a dinging sound inside the case (like a bell would make). Not sure if that's normal?

Thanks for your help!
The bell sound you are describing sounds like the driveshaft.
Grease it and try again.
It's fairly normal.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:59 PM   #11
Everything is recently greased and I just checked the level of the transfer case, it's full and clean. The bell noise is definitely inside the case. Are these transfer cases chain driven? I could be hearing a chain clanking against something.

I had my wife engage the 4WD (push the button) and disengage (key in the on position, engine off) it while I was underneath the t-case, I could hear the motor (I assume electric) engage and disengage. It took a bit longer to disengage and sounded a little different. This is likely nothing, but I'm not sure what it is suppose to sound like?