LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

2200 Rpm at 60 mph

Old 01-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
Jayray is just really niceJayray is just really niceJayray is just really niceJayray is just really nice
Name: Jay
Jayray's Tacoma Gallery
Question 2200 Rpm at 60 mph

Trying to figure out why my sons 2009 4 door 6 speed
Tacoma 4x4 runs at such high rpm's at 60 mph in 6th gear. My dodge dulley and suburban don't run that high at 80 - 85. Anyone have the same prob.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
TacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud of

Name: Jake
TacoBurrito07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayray View Post
Trying to figure out why my sons 2009 4 door 6 speed
Tacoma 4x4 runs at such high rpm's at 60 mph in 6th gear. My dodge dulley and suburban don't run that high at 80 - 85. Anyone have the same prob.
Are you the original owner? If not, the previous owner may have regeared it with the intent of putting bigger tires on and then never got to it..
Old 01-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
.85 6th gear = higher rpms at cruise. 2200 rpm doesn't sound too out of line.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed
worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
That's the way Toyota engineered it. Everyone with a 6-speed has that prob.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:47 PM   #5
Jayray is just really niceJayray is just really niceJayray is just really niceJayray is just really nice
Jayray's Tacoma Gallery
Rpm ?

But it acts like it needs another gear. When I drove it home far his 16th birthday. I got up to 75 on interstate and couldn't hardly here the radio far the engine rpm's. it had factory tires and rims on it then. We put bf Goodrich tires a kepec rims. Tires r like 31 in. Made no difference.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
Toyota Tech..when im not Fishing
blakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
blakes09's Tacoma Gallery
thats about right for a 6 speed..
Old 01-22-2014, 05:52 PM   #7
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed
worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
But it acts like it needs another gear. When I drove it home far his 16th birthday. I got up to 75 on interstate and couldn't hardly here the radio far the engine rpm's. it had factory tires and rims on it then. We put bf Goodrich tires a kepec rims. Tires r like 31 in. Made no difference.

Yes it needs another gear or just better OD. No good reason it doesn't.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:05 PM   #8
Jayray's Tacoma Gallery
Rpm's 09 6 speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBurrito07 View Post
Are you the original owner? If not, the previous owner may have regeared it with the intent of putting bigger tires on and then never got to it..
No 2nd owner. Had factor tires and rims on it. Also why does the engines rpm's stay idled up so long when u engage the clutch and come a red light after run 50- 55 mph
Old 01-22-2014, 06:38 PM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No 2nd owner. Had factor tires and rims on it. Also why does the engines rpm's stay idled up so long when u engage the clutch and come a red light after run 50- 55 mph
That's another mystery. Every manual tranny in the Tacoma does that.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #10
Banned
Black Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Black Pipe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thats a result of the magical toyota programming in the drive by wire ECM. I usually leave mine in gear until i come to almost a dead stop, then you can improve mpg this way too as the injectors will shut off. If you engage the clutch the injectors will still be firing
Old 01-22-2014, 09:41 PM   #11
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
The 6spd's were "engineered" horribly. Rev hang, poor gearing ratios.... I think it's Toyota's way of forcing people into buying automatics and "hating" manual transmissions.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:44 PM   #12
Banned
Black Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Black Pipe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
The 6spd's were "engineered" horribly. Rev hang, poor gearing ratios.... I think it's Toyota's way of forcing people into buying automatics and "hating" manual transmissions.
I couldn't agree more, even with those horrible features id still take it over an autocraptic slushbox though! The rev hang has nothing to do with the transmission, it's how the ECM is programmed. I'd imagine the 5 speed in the 4 banger is the same way.

Don't forget about the shitty throw out bearing design too lol
Old 01-22-2014, 09:52 PM   #13
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Pipe View Post
I couldn't agree more, even with those horrible features id still take it over an autocraptic slushbox though! The rev hang has nothing to do with the transmission, it's how the ECM is programmed. I'd imagine the 5 speed in the 4 banger is the same way.

Don't forget about the shitty throw out bearing design too lol
lol I know it's the ECU, but it's all part of the shifting experience. The 5spd auto is actually a really good trans all said and done, and great for crawling and most off-road senarios so I'm ok with having it in my truck. I test drove a 6spd before I bought my first Tacoma... and felt like a total newb. The sales guy was even like "you'll eventually figure out how to shift" which then pissed me off as I just rolled up there with a 6spd G35 coupe and been driving manuals for years. I proceeded to burn out of the parking lot in the G after that test drive lol...
Old 01-23-2014, 05:54 AM   #14
FishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
FishaRnekEd's Tacoma Gallery
Thats normal

All the gears are low. This is a lower speed with alot of weight design / off road design. gives you better gear options when off road, or with heavy loads.

I dont think holding steady 80+ mph was part of the design in this vehicle. if you want to go 80+ and get good mileage, get a corolla

I drove a prado for a while when i was in a desert. I think it had the same or similar transmission. For gravel roads, inclines, and other poor traction surfaces with a full load, this is the transmission setup you need. For commuting on a smooth freeway for long distances all the gears would need to be taller.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:56 AM   #15
FishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shedFishaRnekEd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post

It is designed for a purpose.

rev hang is the computer, most new stick shits do that. It keeps the rpm's up above idle, so you dont damage the engine if you downshift. (remember its a VVTI engine)
Old 01-23-2014, 05:58 AM   #16
Bellis is a splendid one to beholdBellis is a splendid one to beholdBellis is a splendid one to beholdBellis is a splendid one to beholdBellis is a splendid one to beholdBellis is a splendid one to behold
Name: Ben
Bellis's Tacoma Gallery
yea 6th gear rpms are bogus
Old 01-23-2014, 06:20 AM   #17
It is a 6th gear, but it should have been designed as an "overdrive" instead
Old 01-29-2014, 12:36 PM   #18
33yrsoftoys is on a distinguished road
Name: joel
33yrsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
I found that my 01 off road 5 speed manual got its best milage at about 2500rpm in 5th, about 60mph. My 13 TRD sport, 6 speed manual runs around 2600rpm at 70mph. I get around 22mpg with it at that speed. The 01 got 22mpg at 60mph and 20mpg at 70, about 3000-3100 rpm. Based on this I think Toyota was gearing for mpg in 6th gear. As far as the close ratio gearbox, I think they were looking for tow rating. 6400lbs. About the same as the gm crew cab 4x4's. I hope this helps.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:40 PM   #19
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Phil Dammit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Pipe View Post
I'd imagine the 5 speed in the 4 banger is the same way.
It's not, and why are we comparing the gearing of a 6spd double cab toyota vs that of a chevy and dodge dually?