Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Never mess with a streak.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
crownm is on a distinguished road
crownm's Tacoma Gallery
Red face Never mess with a streak.

Finally after 90k miles I took my 2005 truck to the dealer to get recalls taken care of.(air bag light, pedal trimming and seat belt).
And lo and behold when I drive home the radio is not working. Today it worked until I turned the truck off and now dead again.
The dealer checked it out, saw it was dead gave me the "I didn't do it " that I've grown accustomed to from my 5 year old.
Sooo. Coincidence after 90k miles it just goes bad the only time ive taken it to the dealer. This truck has been flawless. Just normal maintenance.
Until now.
Whadya think?
Old 01-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Was the airbag light recall the one regarding the steering wheel spiral cable?
Was the seat belt recall the one regarding the loose bolt in the access cab door?

I wonder if any of the work required unplugging the clock/anti-theft/airbag indicator module below the radio, which would require briefly pulling the radio out. Maybe a wire got pinched or a connector wasn't fully seated.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:49 PM   #3
crownm's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the tip.
That's what I thought but the dealer said they only messed with the steering column.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:58 PM   #4
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
You can pull out the head unit yourself and check the condition of the wires and connectors.

Follow this guide:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwbuB1fVj8s
Old 01-24-2014, 11:48 PM   #5
crownm's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks.
It has now decided to work on its own.
Probably like you said, but hopefully I will never have to see.
Thanks for the video.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:40 AM   #7
crownm's Tacoma Gallery
The radio wasnt part of the recall. After they did the work it did weird things for about
15 minutes (no display, buttons not working).
When I immediately took it back to the dealer you could only hear sound. After they checked it out, it totally died.
I hope its not haunted.
Its a 2005 and have had nothing but great luck.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:18 PM   #8
Ahshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ahshiet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crownm View Post
The radio wasnt part of the recall. After they did the work it did weird things for about
15 minutes (no display, buttons not working).
When I immediately took it back to the dealer you could only hear sound. After they checked it out, it totally died.
I hope its not haunted.
Its a 2005 and have had nothing but great luck.
I had issues with my 09 headunit and so did my coworker he still has it just gotta take it in they said and they would replace the unit with another one it was a common problem my friend told me who worked at the dealer I just ditched it with a Wallyworld one the got a free Alpine double din after