Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Transmission issue ?

Old 01-25-2014, 09:29 AM   #41
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf4694 View Post
We'll cancel that. It was corrosion. The steel line rotted in half
Hey can you post a picture which line rotted out ?
Old 01-26-2014, 08:03 PM   #42
giggity giggity
durf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

durf4694's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Hey can you post a picture which line rotted out ?
Yeah I can tomorrow. It's the one that goes from the top of the radiator into the steel lines then back into a rubber hose to the trans.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:09 PM   #43
giggity giggity
durf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddurf4694 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearcruncher View Post
Good Gawd !!!!

6 quarts to fill that critter back up . Musta been running low for a while or low on fluid directly from the factory . Sooo much for my estimate of $50 bucks to get you running again . I guess it beats the heck outta $3000 for a new trans .

I bet you would be interested in an aftermarket filler tube and level indicator .
Just pop the hood and check / fill the transmission like the old days .
When summer rolls around , you may want to pop the transmission pan off and make sure the trans is clean .
Waiting to service mine but its - 50 below where I live
Yeah I wouldn't mind checking one of those out for sure, had one of those on my old 90' GMC short box. I should pop the pan off but I just dumped new fluid in so I'll run it for a little bit then probably do a flush of some sort.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:16 PM   #44
giggity giggity

Here's the line
?attachmentid=253218&stc=1&d=1390792486"]http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=253218&stc=1&d=1390792 486[/URL]
Attached Thumbnails
Transmission issue ?-image.jpg  
Old 01-26-2014, 08:20 PM   #45
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Don't change fluids. Use Toyota fluid not the aftermarket stuff.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:26 PM   #46
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Don't change fluids. Use Toyota fluid not the aftermarket stuff.
Problems with the maxlife ws compatible?
Old 01-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #48
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The fibers inside the transmission soak up the fluid that first is used in the transmission. Different fluid provide a different coefficient of friction. Using aftermarket fluid can cause the plates and fibers to begin slipping. I'm really against switching fluids unless the transmission has been rebuilt(and torque converter flushed or replaced).
Old 01-26-2014, 08:48 PM   #49
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
The fibers inside the transmission soak up the fluid that first is used in the transmission. Different fluid provide a different coefficient of friction. Using aftermarket fluid can cause the plates and fibers to begin slipping. I'm really against switching fluids unless the transmission has been rebuilt(and torque converter flushed or replaced).
Hmm, haven't heard that argument before. There are several members using maxlife ws compatible without issue. After reading there reports I would use it myself. Especially in "emergency/drastic" situations.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:21 PM   #50
I am the one who knocks

Use whatever you want

But in the case of different fluid fixing a slipping condition...pretty far out.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:32 PM   #51
G17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to beholdG17GUY is a splendid one to behold
G17GUY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Use whatever you want

But in the case of different fluid fixing a slipping condition...pretty far out.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:53 PM   #52
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
That does stand to reason .
Been talking with the guys at TRNI ( transmission rebuilders Network ). I will pass it by them

Edit : i was replying to Spoons quote about the clutch fibers soaking in World Standard fluid on initial break in . Im not a fluid lab technician . Spoon makes a good point mind you .sort of like two different types of sand paper fighting each other . I have never sent clutch lining away to be analized after mixing fluids .

We do however know that Valvoline Max life is endorsed by Toyota to meet or exceed the friction modifiers of WS . And we do have proof that Max life exceeds the WS coefficient of friction .
To play it safe for now , I would be replacing all the fluid rather than mixing the two fluids together .More to come when the guys get back to me at TRNI :
There are 11 duties of transmission fluid beleive it or not . I can only remember a few .
Old 01-26-2014, 10:02 PM   #53
LRGRNR

Quote:
Use whatever you want

Who's fixing a slipping condition? OP had a line blow and pissed out around 6 quarts.