Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Braking Bad 2nd Generation

Old 01-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #1
dsjacr is on a distinguished road

Name: Scott
dsjacr's Tacoma Gallery
Question Braking Bad 2nd Generation

A few months ago I was pulling my 09' Tacoma 4wd double cab out of a store and hit a huge hole in the road. When I first applied the brakes afterwards they immediately went to the floor. They had worked flawlessly prior to the huge crater. After carefully making it home a few miles away I popped the hood and noticed that the brake fluid was at the minimum line. I periodically check fluids and this was a sign of something being wrong. I filled the reservoir with new fluid and felt the brakes were still spongey. I bled the brakes from RR,LR,FR & FL several times with a lot of air coming out.The brakes were better but still not like they were. While driving you have to press the brake twice to get the correcf braking feel. After a week of this driving me insane I decided to install new front pads since they were close to needing changed anyways. After installing the new pads, there still was no change in braking. This week during my oil change I noticed the fluid was below the Max line which caused for more concern. After numerous searches onlineIdecided to install new rear brake shoes. After doing all required adjusting with the ebrake and the clicker wheel, I still wasn't with good brakes. I went ahead and rebled the lines again and got a little air out. The brakes are now slightly better but still requires a double press to get proper braking. The first press is very spongey and the second press is firm. I have been over the truck numerous times looking for a leak in the lines or connections. What could ahole in the road do to my braking system? Could the brake booster or mastercylinder be damaged or bad? It is just very odd to have excellent brakes and then none after hitting a pot hole on these smooth Louisiana roads.. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Did you bleed the LSPV too?
Old 01-26-2014, 02:29 PM   #3

dsjacr's Tacoma Gallery
I could not locate it. All pictures that I could find were on 1st generations?
Old 01-26-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
Toyota Technician
Ryanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ryan
Ryanv's Tacoma Gallery
Check your front wheel bearings
Old 01-26-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TherealScuba View Post
Did you bleed the LSPV too?
05+ doesn't have one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanv View Post
Check your front wheel bearings
Do this
Old 01-26-2014, 06:43 PM   #6

dsjacr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
05+ doesn't have one

Do this
I did not even think about the front bearings and ABS.
Will check and advise. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #7

dsjacr's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjacr View Post
I did not even think about the front bearings and ABS.
Will check and advise. Thanks!
The passenger side wheel bearing was bad. Went ahead and changed both sides.
Brakes are back working again. Still not sure where the fluid went? Thanks for your help!
Old 02-02-2014, 07:13 PM   #8
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Good to hear it. Brakes are nice to have. The fluid shouldn't be low, but it can get a little low if your brake pads are getting worn.