Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Engine Miss at low idle only

Old 01-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
dgilling is on a distinguished road
dgilling's Tacoma Gallery
Engine Miss at low idle only

My truck is basically all stock except I have the deck plate mod and a K&N drop in filter. When my truck is warmed up, I stop at a light, and the engine reaches it's lowest idle speed, there is a weird feeling. My dad called it a miss. the engine will just kind of shake and the rpm needle will move ever so slightly. I don't really know how else to explain it. It happens randomly and I don't really know what causes it to happen more or less. It might happen 2 or 3 times when I'm stopped at a light. The truck runs perfectly normal at speeds. I guess it seems underpowered going up a steep hill but I always figured that was normal for the small truck (kind of bogs down). Anyone have any thoughts? seems like it could be just about anything. Milage is typical ~17MPG.

2001 V6 double cab
Plugs are fairly new, 30k miles maybe
drained gas and put in higher octane gas
Cleaned Filter (still need to clean MAF, but I did at last interval)
Old 01-27-2014, 09:57 PM   #2
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Cleaning the MAF might help (especially with the K&N, it might be contaminated), but my '08 will "hiccup" every now and then. Not often.
Could also be your PCV valve.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:00 PM   #3
Just trying to measure up...
Jetlander is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetlander is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetlander is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetlander is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetlander is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetlander is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetlander is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetlander is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetlander is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetlander is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetlander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Jonathan (aka MOAB)
Jetlander's Tacoma Gallery
Yes… Change all of the spark plugs. It sounds like you have a bad one. That would be the easiest potential fix. Or you could just pull them all out and inspect/clean and put back in, but if you are going to go through the trouble of pulling them you might as well just change them out. Just my 2 cents…

However, it could be something different altogether. Is it throwing a code?
Old 01-27-2014, 10:32 PM   #4
It's not throwing a code.

I question if it could be the spark plugs. if it was, wouldn't I feel it more when I push on the gas?

I did think about the PCV valve, that seems like an easy one to check and super cheap. My truck has 175k on it and I know it hasn't been replaced for 80k miles since I've owned it.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
I cleaned the MAF, it was pretty clean anyways. I pulled the PCV valve and checked the vacuum. The vacuum seemed strong with and without the valve and when I shook it, I could hear a rattle as expected. I replaced it anyways since a new one was only $4. Both didn't help. I did find a vacuum hose disconnected but it also didn't solve my issue. I guess next would be plugs but I just can't see how it could be those.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:37 PM   #7
Just trying to measure up...
Jetlander is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetlander is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetlander is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetlander is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetlander is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetlander is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetlander is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetlander is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetlander is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetlander is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetlander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Jonathan (aka MOAB)
Jetlander's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgilling View Post
I guess next would be plugs but I just can't see how it could be those.
You'd be shocked. Give them a try.

I had a plug with a small crack in the insulator and it gave me all kinds of engine roughness. Took me forever to find the problem, but when I finally did narrow it down I changed the plugs and the problems all went away.