Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

oil leak on crankcase block

Old 01-28-2014, 11:37 AM   #1
esse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

esse10's Tacoma Gallery
oil leak on crankcase block

Has anybody seen this oil leak right beneath the serpentine belt pulley ? I put a red arrow on this picture to show where I believe the leak is coming from or has anybody had this problem before and know if this leak start somewhere else like the timing belt cover?

Any help or input would be appreciated folks.....
Attached Thumbnails
oil leak on crankcase block-tacomaleak.jpg  
Old 01-28-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
Toyota Technician
Ryanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ryan
Ryanv's Tacoma Gallery
Check the right side of the timing cover near the power steering pump that is a common place for the 05-07 to leak if that's clean your crank seal requires replacement
Old 01-30-2014, 01:08 PM   #3
esse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

esse10's Tacoma Gallery
leak

I'll take a little looksee this weekend and see how bad it is around the power steering pump. Just as long as the oil doesn't get on the pulleys or serpentine belt I might just leave it like that for the time being since the engine oil level is not affected by this small leak.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like crank seal. If ur handy its about an hour job. Did mine about 4 years ago and never had so much as a drop since!
Old 02-12-2014, 05:51 AM   #5

esse10's Tacoma Gallery
oil leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
Looks like crank seal. If ur handy its about an hour job. Did mine about 4 years ago and never had so much as a drop since!
update; I had no oil around the power steering pump so I guess it is the crankcase seal. It looks like a difficult job or is it just removing all the bottom bolts and pull down on the crankcase pan? mine seems to have another line attached to the crankcase pan. I need to take a picture of that I guess. Is there a diy on removing that crankcase pan? anybody know?
Old 02-12-2014, 06:07 AM   #6
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by esse10 View Post
update; I had no oil around the power steering pump so I guess it is the crankcase seal. It looks like a difficult job or is it just removing all the bottom bolts and pull down on the crankcase pan? mine seems to have another line attached to the crankcase pan. I need to take a picture of that I guess. Is there a diy on removing that crankcase pan? anybody know?
Seal behind crankcase pulley is called the crank seal. You are speaking of the pan gasket.

Remove the crank pulley, pry the old one out with a screwdriver. Tap new seal in and reinstall the pulley. Takes about 1 hr.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:38 AM   #7

esse10's Tacoma Gallery
crank seal

Quote:
Seal behind crankcase pulley is called the crank seal. You are speaking of the pan gasket.

Remove the crank pulley, pry the old one out with a screwdriver. Tap new seal in and reinstall the pulley. Takes about 1 hr.
hey thanks for responding back.,

You are correct I was thinking it was the pan gasket. does it require special tools to remove the crank pulley? or just one nut? any pictures would be helpful I'm not a mechanic by trade but do my own repairs to keep from going to the high price Dealer.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:42 AM   #8
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
hey thanks for responding back.,

You are correct I was thinking it was the pan gasket. does it require special tools to remove the crank pulley? or just one nut? any pictures would be helpful I'm not a mechanic by trade but do my own repairs to keep from going to the high price Dealer.
Normal hand tools are all you need. I used a ratchet strap hooked through a hole in the pulley and around the frame to hold it while I broke the nut/bolt (cant remember what it is) loose.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:51 AM   #9

esse10's Tacoma Gallery
cranks seal

Quote:
Normal hand tools are all you need. I used a ratchet strap hooked through a hole in the pulley and around the frame to hold it while I broke the nut/bolt (cant remember what it is) loose.
Do you have to remove the radiator/shroud out of the way or is there enough room to tap or hammer the new seal in?
Old 02-12-2014, 08:01 AM   #10
Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!
KenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ヽ(`Д´)ノ
KenpachiZaraki's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do you have to remove the radiator/shroud out of the way or is there enough room to tap or hammer the new seal in?
There's enough room. Easy fix. I replaced mine when I installed the NST lightweight crank pulley. The torque to spec is kinda hard, you need a 250+ torque wrench iirc.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:25 AM   #11
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenpachiZaraki View Post
There's enough room. Easy fix. I replaced mine when I installed the NST lightweight crank pulley. The torque to spec is kinda hard, you need a 250+ torque wrench iirc.
German tight, lol. Breaker bar and a cheater.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:45 AM   #12

esse10's Tacoma Gallery
torque wrench

Believe it or not I actually do own a torque wrench that go's up to 275 ftlbs
I bought it two years ago when I was tightening the Axle nut on my VW New Beetle. I know you can also rent one but a friend was selling one at a dirt cheap price .......why not

THANKS FOR THE HELP FELLAS.........
Old 02-12-2014, 08:48 AM   #13
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
^^ Then the job is half done. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:41 AM   #14
Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!
KenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ヽ(`Д´)ノ
KenpachiZaraki's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
German tight, lol. Breaker bar and a cheater.
Yea kinda what I did, put my torque wrench to the max, gave it more after the click. Meh good enough. Don't like half assing unless I'm getting paid, but it was dark and I was hungry probably
Old 04-29-2014, 01:52 PM   #15

esse10's Tacoma Gallery
torque spec's

UPDATE, hope this helps the next guy doing this job.

After doing a little research on the net I found out that the torque value for the crank pulley center bolt is 185 foot pounds, which is also 250nm and not 250 foot pounds. just fyi for the next guy .....
Old 06-02-2014, 10:15 AM   #16

esse10's Tacoma Gallery
update

Don't wish to resurrect this old thread but hoping to get a little clarity here. I bought the tools for this job, bought the parts and changed schedule between my cars to do this job, got myself motivated for the job......and now it's not leaking. WTH, Has anybody experience this before? the crank seal starts leaking and then it just stops on it's own? this will be the fourth week of not leaking and not that I'm complaining I won't mess with it now until or if it starts to leak again I just feel like somebody left behind after getting all dressed up for the PROM..LOL