1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question regarding the engine starter

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by bkiel311, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Jan 29, 2014 at 2:29 PM
    bkiel311

bkiel311 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Kenosha, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    4" BDS lift with Fox suspension, Bushwacker Pocket Fender Flares, 33" Mickey Thompson ATZ All Terrain on Fuel Hostages
    I had recently had a little fun going through some mud. Right now it doesn't always start. I have to give the ignition a few "kicks" and a couple times I just hear a click. It's a little random.

Now, I've done a little research and mostly found videos. When I took the truck in for the routine maintenance the dealership told me they would have to order a new part and replace it. Never did they opt to try and clean it out and put it back in. I was talking to my step-bro and he said I'd more than likely just to have to clean it out and put it back in. This the first time I've had to do this on a car, ever, and the process seems a little daunting as to where the starter is.

Right now I just want to get it cleaned out. Does anybody have some helpful tips on this? The dealership wants about 1300 to get this done and I'm pretty much thinking screw that.

I have a 2013 TRD Sport 4x4 with a 3" lift and it's an automatic.

I appreciate any help provided.

2. Feb 1, 2014 at 5:42 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    Dealers will never clean something like that. It's better (for them) to replace it and not worry about it failing again.

Poeple go to the dealer and drop $1,100 to have a new 4X4 actuator installed, when most often it's the dirty tabs on the small 12volt motor not quite making contact.... I'd love to know how many 'good' actuators went into the dumpster. :(

Try to clean the terminal of the starter yourself first.

Products Discussed in

To Top