Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Question about interstate travel

Old 03-24-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Question about interstate travel

Hey, the Taco is my first car, and the fact that it is a manual means it is my first manual. I apologize now for the lack of correct terminology. When travelling up the hill on an interstate and the truck either starts to deccelerate or will only hold its speed. Now here is my question: What is the difference between...

....holding the pedal 3/4 of the way down, maintaining ~2800rpm and maintaining 70mph

...and flooring the pedal, maintaining ~2800rpm and maintaining 70mph.

This question is pure curiosity on my part. sometimes i notice a different tone/vibration when it is floored
Old 03-24-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
However, sometimes if I let off of the accelerator a little bit, the vibration goes away and the trucks performs the same/better
Old 03-24-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
However, sometimes if I let off of the accelerator a little bit, the vibration goes away and the trucks performs the same/better
You are asking the engine for power to gain speed which it can't do at that angle/load. You have basically reached the limit of the motor's capabilities under those conditions. The point at where the vibration goes away would be your maximum output for those conditions.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
so what is the difference between when it is performing the exact same, but vibrating vs. not vibrating. Is that just it not being able to respond to the pedal being depressed further
Old 03-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
so what is the difference between when it is performing the exact same, but vibrating vs. not vibrating. Is that just it not being able to respond to the pedal being depressed further
When you floor the pedal- It knows you want to go faster- So it adds fuel and tries...but at the grade and speed you are at- The engine/transmission CAN'T physically move any faster but it tries...causing the vibs.
When you have the pedal 3/4 of the way down you are providing it enuf fuel to maintain, but not try to accelerate.
The downshift is vital- It'll give you the extra kick you need for those troublesome grades.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:20 AM   #7
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
When you floor the pedal- It knows you want to go faster- So it adds fuel and tries...but at the grade and speed you are at- The engine/transmission CAN'T physically move any faster but it tries...causing the vibs.
When you have the pedal 3/4 of the way down you are providing it enuf fuel to maintain, but not try to accelerate.
The downshift is vital- It'll give you the extra kick you need for those troublesome grades.

Ya trust me i know how and when to downshift and all, this was just a question from my curiosity. I was wondering because the harder i press the pedal in this situation, the more vibes i get, but the RPMs donot cvhange so I was just curious whats going on in the engine
Old 03-24-2009, 10:20 AM   #8
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Brunes is dead on with this.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Ya trust me i know how and when to downshift and all, this was just a question from my curiosity. I was wondering because the harder i press the pedal in this situation, the more vibes i get, but the RPMs donot cvhange so I was just curious whats going on in the engine
Fair enuf- Not knocks on your driving skills- Just a comment in general.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:29 AM   #10
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
haha thanks all for the info! I'm still just a little curious why exactly the vibes occur with no change in rpms.

Quote:

Is it actually putting more fuel in the engine and it just can't handle it?
Old 03-24-2009, 10:34 AM   #11

Marines:
Quote:
haha thanks all for the info! I'm still just a little curious why exactly the vibes occur with no change in rpms.

Is it actually putting more fuel in the engine and it just can't handle it?
Yes. Exactly!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #12
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
YAY my curiosity is no more! Thanks a bunch guys!
Old 03-24-2009, 10:50 AM   #13

Marines:
Yep, you have added power (more air/fuel) and the motor cannot transfer the power through the tranny to the wheels. The "excess" power transfers into the vibration in the motor and truck. It has to go somewhere.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:02 PM   #14
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
A little side note, typical interstates wont go steeper than a 7% grade. Due our 6spd shorter gearing, unless your towing, you'll most likely never need to downshift on an interstate (just have to push in the pedal a little more).

Btw @ 70mph you're at 2500 rpm (6th). Not going over 70 will really help on gas and hey, no worries about speeding tickets. Good to see you went w/ the manual.

EDIT: Scratch my numbers...was talking 4.0 w/ 6spd. I now see you have the 2.7 w/ a 5spd.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:17 PM   #15
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncleaner View Post
A little side note, typical interstates wont go steeper than a 7% grade. Due our 6spd shorter gearing, unless your towing, you'll most likely never need to downshift on an interstate (just have to push in the pedal a little more).

Btw @ 70mph you're at 2500 rpm (6th). Not going over 70 will really help on gas and hey, no worries about speeding tickets. Good to see you went w/ the manual.

EDIT: Scratch my numbers...was talking 4.0 w/ 6spd. I now see you have the 2.7 w/ a 5spd.
haha ya, this interstate (I81) runs through the Appalachian mountains of VA. They aren't steep hills but I still have issues if I dont keep my speed up. On the flip side I save some gas in neutral rollin back down those hills