1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question about interstate travel

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by DanGer, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Mar 24, 2009 at 9:49 AM
    DanGer

DanGer [OP] Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    Hey, the Taco is my first car, and the fact that it is a manual means it is my first manual. I apologize now for the lack of correct terminology. When travelling up the hill on an interstate and the truck either starts to deccelerate or will only hold its speed. Now here is my question: What is the difference between...

....holding the pedal 3/4 of the way down, maintaining ~2800rpm and maintaining 70mph

...and flooring the pedal, maintaining ~2800rpm and maintaining 70mph.

This question is pure curiosity on my part. sometimes i notice a different tone/vibration when it is floored

2. Mar 24, 2009 at 9:51 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    that different tone is your engine struggling to maintain power going up the hill while your flooring it.

Down Shift! it will be less stress on the engine

3. Mar 24, 2009 at 9:52 AM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    However, sometimes if I let off of the accelerator a little bit, the vibration goes away and the trucks performs the same/better

4. Mar 24, 2009 at 9:58 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    You are asking the engine for power to gain speed which it can't do at that angle/load. You have basically reached the limit of the motor's capabilities under those conditions. The point at where the vibration goes away would be your maximum output for those conditions.

5. Mar 24, 2009 at 10:09 AM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    so what is the difference between when it is performing the exact same, but vibrating vs. not vibrating. Is that just it not being able to respond to the pedal being depressed further

6. Mar 24, 2009 at 10:17 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    When you floor the pedal- It knows you want to go faster- So it adds fuel and tries...but at the grade and speed you are at- The engine/transmission CAN'T physically move any faster but it tries...causing the vibs.
    When you have the pedal 3/4 of the way down you are providing it enuf fuel to maintain, but not try to accelerate.
    The downshift is vital- It'll give you the extra kick you need for those troublesome grades.

7. Mar 24, 2009 at 10:20 AM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual

Ya trust me i know how and when to downshift and all, this was just a question from my curiosity. I was wondering because the harder i press the pedal in this situation, the more vibes i get, but the RPMs donot cvhange so I was just curious whats going on in the engine

8. Mar 24, 2009 at 10:20 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    Brunes is dead on with this.

9. Mar 24, 2009 at 10:23 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Fair enuf- Not knocks on your driving skills- Just a comment in general.

10. Mar 24, 2009 at 10:29 AM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    haha thanks all for the info! I'm still just a little curious why exactly the vibes occur with no change in rpms.

Is it actually putting more fuel in the engine and it just can't handle it?

11. Mar 24, 2009 at 10:34 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    Yes. Exactly!!!

12. Mar 24, 2009 at 10:35 AM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    YAY my curiosity is no more! Thanks a bunch guys!

13. Mar 24, 2009 at 10:50 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    Yep, you have added power (more air/fuel) and the motor cannot transfer the power through the tranny to the wheels. The "excess" power transfers into the vibration in the motor and truck. It has to go somewhere.

14. Mar 24, 2009 at 1:02 PM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    A little side note, typical interstates wont go steeper than a 7% grade. Due our 6spd shorter gearing, unless your towing, you'll most likely never need to downshift on an interstate (just have to push in the pedal a little more).

Btw @ 70mph you're at 2500 rpm (6th). Not going over 70 will really help on gas and hey, no worries about speeding tickets. Good to see you went w/ the manual.:thumbsup:

EDIT: Scratch my numbers...was talking 4.0 w/ 6spd. I now see you have the 2.7 w/ a 5spd.

15. Mar 24, 2009 at 1:17 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    haha ya, this interstate (I81) runs through the Appalachian mountains of VA. They aren't steep hills but I still have issues if I dont keep my speed up. On the flip side I save some gas in neutral rollin back down those hills :)

Products Discussed in

To Top