Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Starter Replacement "HOW TO" 5VZ-FE 3.4L engine

Old 03-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
jwscoot has a spectacular aura aboutjwscoot has a spectacular aura about

jwscoot's Tacoma Gallery
Starter Replacement "HOW TO" 5VZ-FE 3.4L engine

So my starter decided to stay engaged with the engine running today... even with the key out of the ignition it was still cranking over...

so I thought I'd take some pictures of it coming out.

Step #1
-Disconnect the Negetive Battery Cable

Step #2
-Disconnect the 12mm nut holding the main power cable with a socket and ratchet
-pull the small ignition wire plug.

Step #3
-Remove Lower 14mm bolt holding starter to tranny with box end of wrench . (I realize I could have removed the exhaust bracket, but the risk of that bolt snapping on the exhaust was too high. it was really rusted on)

Step #4
-Remove top 14mm bolt (I used a impact gun and extension with a swivel socket because I have it) but rachet and extension would be fine.

Step #5
-Manuaver the starter by the power steering line and bellhousing.

AND it's out!

those are all the tools needed, it's a quick job.

opened her up to see the damage... all the bearings plastic covers had melted off and blown all the grease out. Off to the Starter Shop tomorrow!
Old 02-03-2014, 05:35 AM   #3
Knee Dragger
Riptide is on a distinguished road

Riptide's Tacoma Gallery
By the way, the auto / 4wd 5vzfe's are drastically different. I found this out the hard way spending 8+ hours trying to fish out the starter the way this says in my work parking lot. There is a transmission fill tube and ABS lines that need to be disconnected in order to pull the starter from the wheel well in our trucks. That's the only way without either lifting the motor or removing some steering junk. jwscoot, you must have a manual or no 4wd... you should mention that in your title.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #4
JakeInGrayTacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Jake
JakeInGrayTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I did the same thing today. Got the starter out then put the new one on. Connected all 3 wires, then got in the cab, turned the key, and the starter spun, did not engage the flywheel. What do I do?