LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Redline Gear oil and transmission oil questions

Old 03-24-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
HighSierra is on a distinguished road
HighSierra's Tacoma Gallery
Redline Gear oil and transmission oil questions

For those of you who use Redline products (I'm a loyal Redline user in my snowmobile) I've got a couple question for ya!

First I'm going to change the front and rear diff oil, tranfer case oil and Manual transmission oil in my 04 taco. Obviously i'm going to put redline back in but I'm not sure on what exactly to use.

For the Trany I'm not sure if I should use the MTL or the MT90 as I read somewhere that the MT90 isn't so great in cold conditions (I live where it gets cold in the winter) as it makes for difficult shifting sometimes (I acctually think I read that from a company that sells the stuff...I think it was a BMW store, and they reccomended usingthe MTL rather than the MT90 if you live in cold conditions.....but I ask because the taco aint to beamer.)

The other question is with regards to everything else (diffs and transfer case). Should I just get the stadard 75w90 gear oil or should I go with the Heavy Shockproof gear oil. I'm assuming to go with the standard as I mostly put on highway miles with very limited towing (and I mean limited to maybe 100 miles a year). but I don't know....maybe the shockproof stuff will be even smoother and increase the longevetiy (or not really?)

last thing is does anyone know of a place with good deals on Redline?? I think I've found the best deal on the net at JDM ULtimate.com at around $37.99/gallon for both the gear oil and the MT oil.

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
Tylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud of
Name: Tyler
Tylerm5000's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to revive an old thread but I'm interested in how this worked out for you.

I believe I used MT-90 in the transmission. I'm not a huge fan of it. It is a bit hard to shift at times. I am very interested in shockproof maybe in a ratio or 100% but I have no idea of how long it lasts or if it will eat the synchros. I have heard yes and no. All I want is smoother shifting. The transmission has never been driven hard but it has always occasionally grinded and has been hard to shift into reverse and 2nd and first at times as well.

Just curious.