Notices

Engine Static through the speakers

Old 03-26-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
WhosUrBaghdaddy? is on a distinguished road
Army: Senior Mechanic, FSC 878th Engineer Battalion
WhosUrBaghdaddy?'s Tacoma Gallery
Engine Static through the speakers

Hello all,

I recently replaced the spark plugs and wires on my 01 PreRunner Dbl Cab. I travel 45 miles to work everyday, all interstate, and I have noticed now, after changing the plugs and wires, that I hear what sounds like "static" through my speakers when the radio is on. When you let off the gas pedal the noise is more like a popping sound, like the popping of a spark plug sparking. I have also noticed that I am now getting about 45-50 miles less between fuel stops. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Did you gap the plugs? Static is usually caused by the alternator.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
I was informed NOT to gap the plugs since they were double electrode.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:08 PM   #4
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Im not familiar with the double electrode, but im pretty sure it needs to be gapped. Let me do some research..
Old 03-26-2009, 08:08 PM   #5
Was I misinformed?
Old 03-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #6
They were Bosch Platinums
Old 03-26-2009, 08:11 PM   #7
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
Gapped to .040, both sides.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
I'm not familiar with them either. This is the first set I've ever used.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
I'll try it tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #10
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
what brand of wires did you get?
Old 03-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #11
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBS View Post
what brand of wires did you get?
Improperly shielded wires would be my first guess.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #12
Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION
AUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant future
AUDITECH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCPA View Post
Improperly shielded wires would be my first guess.
x2
Old 03-28-2009, 05:51 PM   #13
Wires were from the dealer.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:53 PM   #14
I'm going to try regapping the plugs, as soon as the weather clears up, and see what happens.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #15
ocoinji is on a distinguished road
ocoinji's Tacoma Gallery
Same speaker noise pick-up from spark plugs

I have the same problem that you described a while back where you changed the plugs on your toyota and started to notice the speakers picking up a static noise and popping especially on decelleration. Did you ever solve your problem?
Thanks,
Jim
Old 05-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #16
I chased that problem for quite a while. I unplugged all my wires and re-installed them, making sure they were tight on the plugs. I finally wound up retorquing the sparkplugs, (I think it was 15 ft-lbs), and then made sure that the coil pack and waste spark wires were tight and properly fitted on the plugs. Problem eliminated. I suspect the plugs weren't grounded properly in the hole and were arcing, thus creating static.

Hope this helped.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:09 AM   #17
ocoinji is on a distinguished road
ocoinji's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks,
I'll give it a try.
Jim
Old 05-06-2011, 05:52 AM   #18
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhosUrBaghdaddy? View Post
They were Bosch Platinums
Why people feel the need to put overpriced German platinum garbage in their Japanese copper lovin trucks confuses me. How bout some Denso or NGKs oem spec plugs? Guess those mighta done the same thing if not tightened properly too tho.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #19
frog13 is on a distinguished road
frog13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Why people feel the need to put overpriced German platinum garbage in their Japanese copper lovin trucks confuses me. How bout some Denso or NGKs oem spec plugs? Guess those mighta done the same thing if not tightened properly too tho.
OEM "electrical stuff", most definetly!.