Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

how to clean my o2 sensors

Old 03-27-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
m1yota is on a distinguished road
Navy: machinist mate e1
m1yota's Tacoma Gallery
Question how to clean my o2 sensors

ok this is the deal my 01 baby is running rough as hell!!!! the c/e light came on and it is giving me code p0171 which is o2 sensor but i was wondering how i can clean my sensors first before i go and spend 170 dollars on a new one and it not be the problem....also how can i clean my air flow sensor....please some one give me some help i leave for the navy on may 12 and its ganna bug the piss out of me if i dont get it fixed before i leave...
Old 03-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
first, welcome to TW! for the maf sensor just follow these steps http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...tenancep5.html
Old 03-27-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
m1yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoskim View Post
first, welcome to TW! for the maf sensor just follow these steps http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...tenancep5.html

ok so even though that is an ex for a v6 it is the same cleaning procedure for the l4?
Old 03-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
a maf sensor is a maf sensor. go have fun!!
Old 03-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
m1yota's Tacoma Gallery
thxs
Old 03-27-2009, 03:17 PM   #6
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Are you asking how to clean the MAF or an O2 sensor?
Old 03-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
T100
zigzagg321 will become famous soon enough
zigzagg321's Tacoma Gallery
I just replaced both o2 sensors on my 1996 2.7L in an attempt to make it run better... it did... smooth idle now... Id replace the o2 sensors... Ive never heard that cleaning them does much good. Toyota says replace at 80k.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #9
m1yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
Are you asking how to clean the MAF or an O2 sensor?

how to clean it?? im probably ganna replace them but some one told me that i can take them off and spray them with brake cleaner or something like that... where is a good site to get o2 sensors for cheap but still good
Old 03-27-2009, 05:53 PM   #10
T100
zigzagg321 will become famous soon enough
zigzagg321's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1yota View Post
how to clean it?? im probably ganna replace them but some one told me that i can take them off and spray them with brake cleaner or something like that... where is a good site to get o2 sensors for cheap but still good
brake clean wont do anything, but possibly harm the o2's further.

dont clean your MAF with brake clean either, use electrical contact cleaner, and do not touch the MAF wire with anything.

http://www.rockauto.com/ they have good prices, and a good selection of manufacturers.

I used genuine Toyota o2 sensors though.

make sure you use some PB Blaster on the o2 sensor bolts, and make sure the ones you get come with the proper gaskets.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:34 PM   #11
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
You can get them pretty cheap here too, Denso:

http://www.urdusa.com/index.php?cPath=9_13