1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with power steering

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Buffco, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Feb 27, 2014 at 3:14 PM
    Buffco

Buffco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    99 Toyota Tacoma.

Took off the reservoir because the pump started whining. Common problem for Taco's, the reservoir had an extremely fine screen in it and once it's clogged with buildup, it starves the motor.

Drained it, flushed it, no problems. Now here is the issue: I cycled the wheels back and forth dozens of times, lock to lock, trying to purge the system. Once I started the engine, the wheels are HARD to turn, just as if there was no power steering. The fluid still wants to bubble up and out the reservoir even with the cap on.... And the pump whines constantly now.

What did I do wrong? Besides not letting a pro service it..

2. Feb 27, 2014 at 9:02 PM
    Gmazz

Gmazz Member

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red, Off-Road Pkg.
    Seat Heaters, more on the way
    From your description it sounds as if you still have air in the system. First make sure all your lines, both high and low pressure lines are tight and not leaking.

One way to get more air from the system is to turn the wheel back and forth full left to right and back WITHOUT the engine running and the lid off. This will help burp more air from your system. I would do that about 20 times back and forth.

Then start the engine and move back and forth a few more times. You still may have some air in there, just be ready with some towels. It may take a few more attempts before it gets better.

There is a special tool that you put on the reservoir that you pump to create a vacuum and it draws the air out of the system.

If after this it still doesn't work you may have a restriction someplace in the system or you damaged the new pump bearing. If this was a rebuilt pump you may have gotten a bad one. Exchange it for another.

3. Feb 28, 2014 at 7:02 AM
    D4D Hilux Dude

D4D Hilux Dude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darren
    Arvada, CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Double Cab TRD Offroad
    TRD Supercharger TRD Catback Exhaust Ziebart Rust Proofing Additional Bed Ties 2012 Indicator side mirrors
    Did you drain just the reservoir or did you drain the fluid from the rack itself?

Sound like you have air in the lines going to the rack.

If you did from just the reservoir, you may want to consider draining from the rack while keeping fluid in the tank. once you get the new fluid at the rack, reconnect the hose and then rock steering wheel from left to right.

Make sure there is always fluid in the reservoir.

Just my best guess......

Products Discussed in

To Top