Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Thinking about getting into Powder Coating

Old 03-29-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking about getting into Powder Coating

Hey, just wondering if anyone else has any experiance with powder coating. I am thinking about trying it out just for a fun new hobby that I know people will always need for automotive purposes. It could be a hell of a lot of fun power coating different parts of the tacoma (wheels, calipers, etc).
Old 03-29-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
sbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to all

Name: Scott
sbeau1960's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sbeau1960
I've had a bunch of motorcycle parts powdercoated by a local shop, Indy Powdercoating. Some cool pics on their website: http://www.indypowdercoating.com/

I know a few motorcycle guys on Wristtwisters that have set up their own powdercoating ovens at home, works ok for small parts but anything major and you're better off with a professional shop using high dollar equipment.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
It's a bit of expense to get into it to do stuff as large as wheels and what not from what I remember. (Like 5-8K for a 3x3x3 oven)...but I'm sure you could make it back with reasonable prices and what not.

Handy for if you want to switch stuff up on your truck too...Good luck...Let me know-I wouldn't mind putting an oven in my garage someday!!
Old 03-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
I'm only 19 and just looking for a fun, useful hobby! Not sure how I am going to go about doing it if I decide to. The spray guns are not that expensive and you are right, its the ovens that get you. hmmmm wonder if my mom will let me see if my 17" rims will fit in her oven...
Old 03-29-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Ya I was reading about it and you can use a normal oven, but I'm not sure I would like bakin the chemicals is the same oven as my food!