1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Deciding on a Gear Ratio for Crawler.

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by HomerTaco, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Mar 13, 2014 at 7:08 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco [OP] also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I'll be purchasing a crawlbox in the near future and I'm trying to decide which gear ratio would be the most appropriate: 2.28:1 or the 4.70:1
    There is a cost difference (4.7 is more $$ but not a huge one).
    I was originally just going to go with the 4.70:1 because I have had the opportunity to drive a manual tacoma with one and it was amazing.
    After having a few conversations with folks I come to learn that with this severe of a reduction immediately off the transmission you are putting a LOT of strain on the Transfer case.
    I know this in not a very common modification but I'd like to get some additional input form other members.
    2.28:1 or 4.70:1 ???
    Thank you,
    ~ Craig

2. Mar 13, 2014 at 7:18 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Is it switchable between the two, or do you just pick one ratio?

3. Mar 13, 2014 at 7:22 PM
    TherealScuba

TherealScuba Sober Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    99 Single Cab 4x4
    4.7's.

The Tacoma cases can handle it just fine. Knowing you and your truck, I don't think you'll ever be in a situation where you will have to worry about the 4.7's in front of the stock case.
    Wyatt has been running a 4.7 case for years.. and we all know how he wheels.

I really don't see the point of going 2.28's. Your stock ratio is 2.56. You'll have more options with a 4.7.

4. Mar 13, 2014 at 7:22 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    It comes built with one or the other. When engaged along with the stock low gear in the t-case you then have a "compound low" gear.

5. Mar 13, 2014 at 7:25 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    I know - I've discussed this with him too. :)

I'm just looking for additional input but thank you for that point. :thumbsup:

6. Mar 13, 2014 at 7:28 PM
    wrmathis

wrmathis Dark Lord of the Sith

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bonaire, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    parts and stuff
    id go 4.7. the fj cases hold up fine to the 4.7 gears

7. Mar 13, 2014 at 7:33 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    Hmmm. I have no practical experience, but I can do math. :) Then the progression would be:

4.7 box:
    2H 1:1
    4H 1:1
    4L 2.5:1 (roughly)
    crawl 4H 4.7:1
    crawl 4L 11.5:1 (roughly)

OR 2.3 box:
    2H 1:1
    4H 1:1
    4L 2.5:1 roughly
    crawl 4H 2.3:1 (no reason to bother with this combo)
    crawl 4L 5.7:1

So if you pick the 4.7 box - and you're in a situation where you're worried about stress - you can just use the 4.7 combo in 4H and still be 2x lower than factory. But that crawl 4L with the 4.7 opens up that *reallly low* ratio you just won't get with the 2.3...

8. Mar 13, 2014 at 7:38 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    You just won the gold star. :cool:

9. Mar 13, 2014 at 7:40 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    The only additional piece I'd mention is that with the twin stick all the ratios are available in 2wd as well.

10. Mar 13, 2014 at 7:41 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    Ha!

I dunno man. When I was younger and had too much time on my hands I used to custom specify the gear cogs that would go on my bikes so I could get JUST THE RIGHT gear ratios. Didn't change the fact that I was still the slowest guy in the pack. :eek:

11. Mar 13, 2014 at 7:44 PM
    DoccoM85

DoccoM85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Whidbey Island, WA
    Vehicle:
    01 Reg Cab 4X4
    I do not crawl, and i offer NO experience whatsoever, but with my basic understanding of gears and this little gem of math, the 4.7 makes sense..... The 2.7 seems to waste/duplicate half of what it offers

12. Mar 13, 2014 at 8:52 PM
    awsumdc

awsumdc Well-Known Member

Member:
    O.C. Cali
    Vehicle:
    SASED '05 Taco
    SAS, crawler box, 14" coilover shocks, 39.5 tires,dual batteries, and a bunch of other stuff
    DUDE!!!!

4.70:1!!!
    :cool:

Every single Crawler I've put in with the exception of 1 has been 4.7 and not one has broken an input shaft on the t case. And that includes first gen Tacoma's and a diesel Hilux in Australia. That THEORY,and thats all it is, has never been proven. Infact it's been disproven with all the installs we've done.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  13. Mar 14, 2014 at 5:36 AM
    NwiTACO

NwiTACO Big tars, little/no bed.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport
    Custom Everything, 1 Ton Axles F & R
    This. It is false that the chain cases can't handle the extra torque. As Wyatt said it's been proven over and over.

My 2 cents would be if you have the money, and nothing else to spend it on, get the 4.7's. If there's anything else you could use the money on, use it on that instead.

At least for me, Midwest/east coast wheeling doesn't offer the traction to take advantage of the really low gearing offered by the 4.7/2.28 combo. We rely much more on wheel speed and momentum in situations than west coasters.

I have only used compound low once or twice since having it, because the traction just hasn't been there any time I have wheeled yet. Hell the dew we get in the morning is more precipitation that most of the west coast gets in a week, and that changes traction situations quickly.

Now that's just my opinion, and you have a manual which can benefit some more from lower gearing as my experience is with an auto.

14. Mar 14, 2014 at 6:20 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Thank you all for the feedback! :thumbsup:

15. Mar 14, 2014 at 8:58 AM
    Boomtacoma01

Boomtacoma01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Houston
    another vote for the 4.7's

16. Mar 14, 2014 at 11:49 AM
    awsumdc

awsumdc Well-Known Member

Member:
    O.C. Cali
    Vehicle:
    SASED '05 Taco
    SAS, crawler box, 14" coilover shocks, 39.5 tires,dual batteries, and a bunch of other stuff
    This is very true and should be considered in your choice. Location and the type of terrain your wheeling in could be a factory in your decision making process. If your in wet areas wheel speed is what you want. If your in rocky dry areas then torque and low wheel speed is what you want. However, if you have the money and plan on wheeling out west any then the 4.7's provide you with more options than the 2.28's will.

17. Mar 14, 2014 at 11:58 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    I've driven all over the country to wheel, so I don't really consider the build as a "region specific" type thing. :eek:
    With all the experienced comments it's pretty obvious to me that the 4.70:1 is the best choice. :thumbsup:

Now just have to wait until the end of March... :D

18. Mar 15, 2014 at 9:34 AM
    Round II

Round II Member #12005

Member:
    Just roll with the 4.7 why not right? The TC is more than ample to handle the added stress, Im running the lefty which I believe may be less strong and I have not had any issues yet.:cool:

19. Mar 15, 2014 at 11:09 AM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    4.7s and dont look back. I disagree with nwi, i wheel the same terrain and use double low all the time. If you need wheel speed you take it out of compound low and use either 4.7 or the stock low range.

20. Mar 15, 2014 at 12:17 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    You will hate yourself in the end if you don't get the 4.7 ratio.

Products Discussed in

To Top