1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Streaks in the paint....Help?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by 909tacoma, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Oct 1, 2007 at 9:58 PM
    909tacoma

909tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07' Prerunner SR5 TRD
    I just noticed I seem to have streaks in the paint on my hood... I have only had the truck one week, and just now noticed it.... I have to look at it in a certain angle to see it but it's there.....
    Anyone ever heard or seen something like this?
    Any advice on how I should go about getting it taken care of?

Thanks, Michael...

2. Oct 2, 2007 at 3:35 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Are you sure they aren't streaks in the wax (too much wax buildup)?

3. Oct 2, 2007 at 5:22 AM
    GTiVR6r

GTiVR6r Big Cat Chew Toy

Member:
    Carpentersville, IL
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Access Cab 2.7L Impulse Red
    If its a week old, take it back to the dealer and have them buff the hood.

Brand new vehicles should be delivered spotless and perfect, NO EXCEPTIONS!
    Make sure you stay on them to take care of it to your satisfaction.

Which leads me to my story, get some milk and cookies kids, its a doozy!

I bought my new Truck Impulse Red 2 Sept 22. At delivery, (same day) the selling dealer and I walekd around the truck and found various inperfections to be taken care of on Tuesday when their body prep guy would be there.

Fast forward to Monday night.
    I drop off the truck, the service manager and I go around with a grease pen marking all the places I want buffed, includeing the drivers door handle area
    where it looks like someone had key or rings on there hand and opened the door, sctrched pretty bad. O made sure the passenger side handle area was clean for the same reason.

They gave me a Scion TC as a loner. Uh, dude, I'm 6 foot 3, 325 pounds of bodybuilder, do you honestly think Im gunna shoe horn ass in there? He went back and got me a Tundra! NICE! :D

Fast forward to Tuesday night. I arrive after fight traffic and construction to pick up my truck. Guy drives it up and walks away. Of coarse I'm gunna walk around it and inspect the work. And to my surprise, the greas pen and goop and scuffs are still there, PLUS they installed MORE on the passengers door handel area! Needless to sa I was pissed OFF! :mad:

I got the service manager and reamed him a new one. He pulled the truck back around to the details guys who couldnt figure out why i rejected it.
    After 30 minutes of rubbing with a rag, they could not get the scratches out.
    Gee I wonder why? Wheres the rubbing compound genius?

I reluctantly took the truck back stateing I would fix it myself. I wrote the
    customer service department and that triggered a HUGE storm of emails and calls to me appoligizeing for the problems plus an investigation and interview of the new car prep department and service manager. I refused to bring it back for fear of more scratches. And I questioned their ability to properly service it in the future without more paint damage.

They told me to keep track of how long it takes me and what I did to fix thhem adn they would compensate me in some way for my troubles.

This past weekend I used Meguiers Fine Cut polishing compund with a foam applicator, then my fingers to rub out the scratches. Then used Meguiers Swirl Remover, follwed by Show Car Polish, finished with Wax. Drivers door is 95% scratch free while the pass door is 90% scratch free. Scratches were deeper on the pass door. And I polished and waxed the entire truck, took me 4 hours with a 10" orbital buffer and foam pads and 20 clean cotten towels.
    I didnt want to get TOO agressive with the paint just yet since it was just built in July. Car paint thypically takes 3-4 full months to fully cure and reach full hardness. Truck looks UBER good now! Like it should have at delivery.

I called the dealer back and reported my sucess in removing their scratches, and they wanted to make it up to me. So I now have the spare tire wheel lock and full rubber floor mats waiting for me at the dealer to pick up this weekend. Score 1 for BIG Mike! :D

4. Oct 2, 2007 at 5:42 AM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    Way to go Mike. It's too bad you had to do all that work yourself on a brand new truck but at least there was an upside. I would be leery of taking my truck back to that dealer (at least to the detail shop).

5. Oct 2, 2007 at 6:37 AM
    909tacoma

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07' Prerunner SR5 TRD
    Thanks for all the imput. I'm going to the dealer during my lunch break today, so I'll see what they try and tell me...
    I'll try and get some pictures posted later, so that you guys know exactly what it looks like...

6. Oct 15, 2007 at 9:59 PM
    909tacoma

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07' Prerunner SR5 TRD
    I dropped off my truck this morning.....The dealer said I should have it back in a couple of days... So far so good... I have been impressed so far by there customer service...
    No beating around the bush, I took it down to the dealership the first time and they tried buffing it out, that was a no go... After that they said contact customer care. I called once to customer care they said we are working on it we will call you back tomorrow and let you know the details...The call came and they said bring it down on Monday and pick up your rental, hopefully this will make you happy...
    When I get the my truck back I'll post the outcome out....

7. Oct 16, 2007 at 5:05 AM
    GTiVR6r

GTiVR6r Big Cat Chew Toy

Member:
    Carpentersville, IL
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Access Cab 2.7L Impulse Red
    Inspect it from EVERY angle carefully! Keep us posted.

- Mike

Products Discussed in

To Top