1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How soon can I wash after an autobody paint repair job?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by sofiasdad11, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Mar 22, 2014 at 12:49 PM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 [OP] Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    the truck that is, lol. OK, suffered an 8" long deep scratch with a very slight dent behind the rear wheel (lower rear quarter panel). Unsure how occurred. took it to an autobody shop for repair. they did an outstanding job, looks flawless. However when I asked them when it was ok to wash the truck, they were somewhat vague, saying the next day would be fine but no wax for a month. but their vagueness struck me, so googled it and came back with a multitude of answers: anywhere from immediately to 30 days [​IMG]
    I'm fairly obsessed with my truck being clean, and could use some advice here. any and all input appreciated [​IMG]

2. Mar 22, 2014 at 12:51 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    just hose it and dont rub it. Don't wax it because the paint is still venting.

3. Mar 22, 2014 at 1:06 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    This......

My FIL always said dont rush progress.
    Paint is still curing even after you get the vehicle back.
    He always said keeping the paint rinsed off with plain water was more important and better than washing and waxing during the first 30 days.
    After that then lightly wash and wax.

4. Mar 22, 2014 at 1:17 PM
    BKill

BKill AKA Threadkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner
    Wash only with plain water the first month. Avoid anything with silicon for 90 days. As already stated, don't rub or buff during that time (90 days) while paint cures. Just went through this last fall.

Products Discussed in

To Top