Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Problems with differential fluid change

Old 03-31-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Angry Problems with differential fluid change

What can I say to make my dad change his mind that I NEED TO CHANGE THE DIFF OIL.

He got the brakes done today at our Toyota dealership and my dad asked the Service manager about that I needed to change the diff oil.

My dad told me after I got back from school that "There was no need to because the tranny and diff were sealed and that there was no way to get into the tranny or diff and that the truck will stay with those fluids FOREVER." (close to what he said--- cant remember all of it because I was furious about it)

I told my dad about the awesome write-up about changing the diff fluid from Chris and Brian. He didnt care...... he just argued with me about it.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Help anyone
Old 03-31-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
just fawking do it. Oil breaks down over time, and if left unchanged it will cost more in the long run.

Its like never changing your motor oil..
Why does your dad refuse to let you do the diff oil? Are you mechanically inclined? or are you all thumbs?

The tranny he is half right..You either need toyota to do it, or a special tool from matco/snap on to change the trans fluid.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah Im the mechanic for my family. They rarely have to take their cars in.

Im up to do it. Wirhout a doubt.... He talked to the Service Manager about the diff and tranny. I know for a fact that the diff isnt because why would Chris and Brian put that tutorial up if the diff was sealed..........
Old 03-31-2009, 07:00 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The rear diff is NOT sealed. It has a breather, and hypoid gears. It needs to be changed every 15,000 miles. If you have the LSD, you need to add the LS addative. Tell your Dad to open the owners manual. Its all stated in it.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The rear diff is NOT sealed. It has a breather, and hypoid gears. It needs to be changed every 15,000 miles. If you have the LSD, you need to add the LS addative. Tell your Dad to open the owners manual. Its all stated in it.
Im going to tell him that RIGHT NOW. What would it be under in the manual
Old 03-31-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My truck has 28207 miles on her right now, I have a check up in about 477 miles, and I was wondering if Toyota is gonna change out the differential fluid or what.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:11 PM   #9
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Did the previous owner have it changed out?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:14 PM   #10
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh View Post
Did the previous owner have it changed out?
I'm not sure, shouldnt toyota change out the diff fluid when we bring out trucks in for maintenance??
Old 03-31-2009, 07:16 PM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Im going to tell him that RIGHT NOW. What would it be under in the manual
It should be in the maintinance schedual section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06BLUEDBLSPORT View Post
My truck has 28207 miles on her right now, I have a check up in about 477 miles, and I was wondering if Toyota is gonna change out the differential fluid or what.
Do it yourself and save some money. Did they change it @ 15,000?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:16 PM   #12
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm not sure, shouldnt toyota change out the diff fluid when we bring out trucks in for maintenance??
They should if its time for it. You might have to tell them.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:17 PM   #13
Quote:

I would hope so because I bought the truck with like 20019 miles on it
Old 03-31-2009, 07:17 PM   #14
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Your the man Chris!!!! Thank you... Rep coming your way
Old 03-31-2009, 07:19 PM   #15
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would hope so because I bought the truck with like 20019 miles on it
Ask him the next time you talk or see him. If not get it done Pronto.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:21 PM   #16
Quote:
Ask him the next time you talk or see him. If not get it done Pronto.
I'll give him a call later, pronto is not an option, two weeks from now yeah, in the next 3 weeks my truck will be in and out of shops, gotta fix the damage, rotate my BFGs and get the maintenance done on it
Old 03-31-2009, 07:24 PM   #17
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'll give him a call later, pronto is not an option, two weeks from now yeah, in the next 3 weeks my truck will be in and out of shops, gotta fix the damage, rotate my BFGs and get the maintenance done on it
Well its in the shop..... haha I doubt they would do any joy riding in your truck. Well in 3 weeks.... DO IT
Old 03-31-2009, 07:27 PM   #18
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Where else would it be???
Old 03-31-2009, 07:27 PM   #19
Quote:
Well its in the shop..... haha I doubt they would do any joy riding in your truck. Well in 3 weeks.... DO IT
I would literally kill the workers at the body shop if they went joy riding in my truck after they were done testing making sure everything seem great on the truck before I came by to pick her up.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:34 PM   #20
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would literally kill the workers at the body shop if they went joy riding in my truck after they were done testing making sure everything seem great on the truck before I came by to pick her up.
I would be too... I would be your back up