1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Possible tip for improving AC life

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by neverstuck, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Mar 28, 2014 at 8:43 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    Hey all, my father-in-law knows a hell of a lot more about cars than me and gave me this tip for adding longevity to your AC system. I'm hoping people can chime in and tell me if I'm talking out of my ass.

He said always leave your AC power button turned on. Even in the winter when you have the temp set to hot. The rationale being that the AC only kicks in and draws power if it is required. If it is not required (like all winter) it will cycle periodically to confirm it's not needed. This cycling action will be just enough to prevent moisture from building up in the bearing over the winter. The bearing will apparently last forever as long as it doesn't get a build-up of condensation. This is why AC units last longer in Texas than they do in Minnesota. (I don't know if that's actually true or not, but it seems like it must be)

2. Mar 28, 2014 at 8:56 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    Defrost, and floor+defrost, automatically turn on the AC even though the button doesn't light up, so no need in the winter.

As for the rest, regardless of its inaccuracy, we have Delphi compressors. They like to spontaneously grenade either the clutch or the compressor itself no matter what kind of preventative action you take, just like mine did last year. Wish Nippondenso made one for it.

3. Mar 29, 2014 at 7:32 AM
    neverstuck

neverstuck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    Good to know. Thanks man.

4. Mar 29, 2014 at 7:40 AM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    If I don't need the defroster for a month or so I always run the A/C for a few minutes just to circulate the oil in the system to keep the seals conditioned.

Products Discussed in

To Top