1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

UltraGuage (fuel consumption) question

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by neverstuck, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Mar 28, 2014 at 8:49 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    When setting up your UltraGuage, to ensure accurate readings you need to know if your vehicle is one that cuts fuel injection when the vehicle is decelerating. Does the 4.0 v6 tacoma do that?

In other words, when you gear down to slow your vehicle and the RPM's spike, are you actually burning more fuel or is the fuel supply cut off? I was told once that when you decelerate by gearing down you aren't actually burning more fuel but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

2. Mar 29, 2014 at 7:00 PM
    TheGrayRider

TheGrayRider MARANATHA !!!

Member:
    NW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2017 BBP DC 4X4 OR
    Yes the 4.0 does ... If you are downshifting your manual transmission to aid in braking, your engine rpm will increase and the injectors shouldn't cutoff. If you are in an automatic transmission like my truck or a manual transmission and let off of the gas to coast as the truck slows down the engine rpm doesn't increase and the injector cutoff function will be working

Pg 47
    Injector Cutoff
    MENU >UltraGauge Setup .. > Injector Cutoff
    While in gear during de-acceleration, many vehicle manufacturers will turn off the fuel injectors in order to save fuel. This is true for vehicles with either manual or automatic transmissions. The fuel savings is slight, but over time and distance could become significant. UltraGauge can detect when the injectors are switched off and factor the fuel savings into the fuel usage and mileage calculations... ...

When enabled and injector cutoff occurs, the Instantaneous MPG will read 999.9, and the Instantaneous Gallons/hour will read 0.0

NOTE: Injector cutoff detection should be enabled prior to performing fuel calibration. If enabled after calibration, the calibration procedure should again be performed.

I have mine setup for this and it works as described in the Ultraguage manual. I had to calibrate again since I didn't set it up right the first time

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  3. Mar 30, 2014 at 9:34 AM
    neverstuck

neverstuck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    Thanks. I'll make sure injector cutoff is enabled on my UG.

4. Apr 2, 2014 at 1:45 AM
    Len04Taco

Len04Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Len
    Stow, MA
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 Red
    :)

Is this the reason the dealer claims better fuel mileage in the new trucks with the automatics vs the stick?

A question on the UltraGuage- In terms of improving fuel mileage can I benefit from installing one in a 04 SR5 V6 4WD w stick? Does this show rate of fuel consumption?

Its a new truck to me. My previous 99 SR5 4cyl 2WD w automatic & 230k miles on it got 28-30 on relatively flat roads and 90% highway use.

Len

:)

5. Apr 2, 2014 at 2:29 AM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    I'm pretty sure autos have been getting better mileage for years, regardless of mfg. I don't know anyone who could shift better than a computer. The gearing ratios on paper may make a standard appear the better choice, but it's all upnto the guy behind the wheel.

Frank

Products Discussed in

To Top