Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Dealer rip off?

Old 04-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
YoTaco18
YoTaco18 is on a distinguished road

YoTaco18's Tacoma Gallery
Dealer rip off?

So I have my 06 taco at the dealer right now. I was hearing chirping/squeaking noise while accelerating on gas from under truck. Did some research and guess it could be u joints or carrier bearings.

Just got off phone with mechanic at dealership and he said its not the u-joints or the carrier bearing but the drive shaft itself.

He said there is a shaft within the shaft making the noise and wants $1025 to replace it!!!!

Any thoughts
Old 04-05-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
So, how much is just the driveshaft?
Old 04-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
YoTaco18

think he said around $800 something
Old 04-05-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Personally, if the truck runs ok I'd get it the fuck out of there and get a second opinion from another driveline shop before doing anything. Don't quote me on it but I think if you remove the four rear u-joint bolts you can drop the shaft down then separate the front and rear pieces and lube the shit out of the splines and put it back together with new joints and center bearing for maybe $300 in parts. That's without labor.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:43 PM   #6
Just a guy.
hitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Veteran
Name: Chris
hitmans.army's Tacoma Gallery
Shaft inside the driveshaft? Sounds like a slip yoke that needs grease?
Old 04-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #7
spencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Spencer
spencer44306's Tacoma Gallery
un real
Old 04-05-2014, 12:46 PM   #8
YoTaco18

yea thats kinda what i was figuring. From reading stuff on here I kinda felt like he was trying to rip me off. I'm going to try to grease the u-joints first to see if that helps.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #9
YoTaco18

i have an 06 with 69,000 miles
Old 04-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #10
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Sounds like he's trying to shaft you

Grease is the word, is the word, is the word, is the word.

I'd try that before applying Vaseline to your balloon knot for the dealer.... just sayin'.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #11
Just a guy.
hitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Veteran
Name: Chris
hitmans.army's Tacoma Gallery
Grab the shaft near the u-joints and push/pull up/down/side to side/forward and back. Check to see if there is noticeable movement or clunking. Do the same at the carrier bearing and see if there is any separation of the rubber. Does your driveshaft have greasable u-joints? If so, do this BEFORE putting grease in as the grease may make it hard to tell. If it is just chirping, I doubt you will notice much movement, but its good to check.

If you don't want to do that, atleast get a second opinion from another shop.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:01 PM   #12
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like another dealer that doesn't want to change out joints to me. Unless the slip yoke is so shot the shaft is wobbling, or a weld/tube/yoke is cracked, you shouldn't have to buy another one.

Looks like there's quite a few driveline shops that carry Spicer parts around Tampa, I'd call around, might be one kind enough to help with diagnostics

http://www2.dana.com/expert/wc.dll?h...rts~locatea_ld

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...esnt-need.html
Old 04-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #13
YoTaco18

thanks guys I'm definitely not having them do it. To top it off I just called them and told him I wasn't going to do the work and he said they are closed for the day so now I have no truck tonight!

I'll try everyone's suggestions first.

Beyond Pissed.....
Old 04-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #14

Don't be pissed. You've got 1k. Order in dinner tonight.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #15
YoTaco18

haha true
Old 04-05-2014, 01:14 PM   #16
Señor Member
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoTaco18 View Post
yea thats kinda what i was figuring. From reading stuff on here I kinda felt like he was trying to rip me off. I'm going to try to grease the u-joints first to see if that helps.
prerunners dont have greasable u joints,unless you already changed them out for greasable ones...
also just to change out all the ujoints out here in cali at this drive line shop its like between $150-200 parts/labor
so yea youre getting fucked

also, the only "slip yoke" prerunners have is the one that slides inside the rear of the transmission shaft.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #17
YoTaco18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerez View Post
prerunners dont have greasable u joints,unless you already changed them out for greasable ones...
also just to change out all the ujoints out here in cali at this drive line shop its like between $150-200 parts/labor

also, the only "slip yoke" prerunners have is the one that slides inside the rear of the transmission shaft.
well I wont be greasing them then haha. Ill just get another look at a different shop. Thanks
Old 04-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #18
Señor Member
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoTaco18 View Post
well I wont be greasing them then haha. Ill just get another look at a different shop. Thanks
yea man, search the web for places with good reviews. i did and found one like 5-6 miles away. great shop!
Old 04-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #19
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Don't say that too loudly, BamaToy will flip out and go off on you.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #20
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Still way better than the dealer! They'll want over $200 just for the joints, not including labor.

Either things are way cheaper here or I just lucked out and found a great shop. Labor for all three joints, install center bearing, grease slip yoke, rebalance, and paint.... less than $60

Forgot the prerunners had the solid shaft... yeah there should be no reason for it to need changing unless it went rock bouncing.