Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

How do you clean your engine?

Old 04-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
Janks is on a distinguished road
Janks's Tacoma Gallery
How do you clean your engine?

I've allways owned vehicles I really did'nt care too much about so I never bothered, but everytime I open my hood on the Taco I really feel like it should be shine'n. (not every time...)

I know theres the basic spray on rinse off but is there a better way?

Let's maybe see some pic's of these beautifull engines shine'n.

Cheers

Jim
Old 04-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
obsurfer1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
obsurfer1990's Tacoma Gallery
tooth brush, wd40, and some carb cleaner the old fashion way does the trick =)
Old 04-01-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
Here's mine after 217,000 miles and almost 14 years. What I do is use "purple cleaner" from Wal-Mart and tire shine. The trick is to NOT get tire shine or oily stuff on the metal parts. Apply it with a rag to the plastic directly by hand. After I hose off the engine, I start it and let er' run for 5 minutes to evaporate the water.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
Who needs 4WD?
neslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Harrelsen
neslerrah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwilson1977 View Post
Here's mine after 217,000 miles and almost 14 years. What I do is use "purple cleaner" from Wal-Mart and tire shine. The trick is to NOT get tire shine or oily stuff on the metal parts. Apply it with a rag to the plastic directly by hand. After I hose off the engine, I start it and let er' run for 5 minutes to evaporate the water.

I have to give this a try. Thanks for the tips!
Old 04-01-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

nice!
Old 04-02-2009, 05:23 AM   #7
Janks is on a distinguished road
Janks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Oh, thats nice.. Thanks a bunch for everyones help. It's gonna reach 15deg celcius today here in Southern Ontario so I'm gonna give her a real good clean'n today. Thanks again guy's.

Jim
Old 04-02-2009, 05:26 AM   #8
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
I killed my tensioner pulley bearing using the hose.

I now clean underhood by hand with a damp towel.