1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

To lock the front or not? 4x4 long travel

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by 4runnercaged, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Apr 6, 2014 at 8:40 PM
    4runnercaged

4runnercaged [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cody
    arizona
    Vehicle:
    LOL
    98 toyota tacoma, stock
    I am considering locking the front of my truck.
    Now I have considered locking it before, but did not want to because I already had it geared. Well I just blew up the ring and pinion so I'm going to need to be in it anyways so I was thinking about doing it. I was thinking about not doing it because I will go through CV axles a lot.
    I will be carrying two spare CV axles after a little while. But I don't have any spare currently. I can't just buy them because I'm long travel so I need to make them.

My truck is a dedicated wheeling rig, never sees pavement. I have never really been to where I must have a front locker to get through something. But times were definitely would've helped. Also it would have helped me a few times in the dunes when I was stuck.
    I really pushed my truck and go a lot of places people wouldn't even consider taking their trucks. But have never really been to where I was like " I really wish I had a front locker!!! "
    Onboard air would be really nice too. I am just looking for other peoples opinions as I'm not sure if spending $1800 is quite worth it. What do you all think?

2. Apr 6, 2014 at 8:43 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Lock it if you need it and be careful using it

Products Discussed in

To Top