1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Flywheel bolt r&r q's

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by 4toys, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Apr 9, 2014 at 6:14 AM
    4toys

4toys [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lexington, VA
    Vehicle:
    00 xCab TRD 4x4 3.4 MT
    5100's @2.5, AAL
    2000 TRD 3.4 4x4. At 186,000 miles the clutch sems just about used up. It requires careful blipping and feathering to start smoothly. No slippage yet, but not much top play on pedal, either. Center support donut has been replaced and u-joints inspected/lubed. Rear leaf packs have also been upgraded in a reputable shop. Motor/tranny mounts have not been replaced.

Having changed clutches in a variety of 4x4's, including Toyotas, I plan to do the job in my own shop with plenty of power tools, jacks, tranny jack adapter, etc.

Once, on a 1998 4Runner 3.4, my buddy [indy mechanic] talked me out of getting the flywheel resurfaced - WRONG. We ended up redoing that job to get it right. So, flywheel will go to machine shop on this job.

On certain Japanese products, it is recommended that flywheel bolts be replaced due to their elastic design. Learned this lesson the hard way a 240Z. On to the questions:

-Do the flywheel bolts on this Tacoma need to be replaced?

-Are the bolt holes in the crankshaft such that a bottom tap is needed to clean them before reassembly? If yes, what size tap is needed?

-Is Loc-Tite recommended with flywheel reassembly?

Since Aisin kits are only a few dollars cheaper than the Marlin, I plan to see about Marlin availability. Having never had a problem with them, I plan to reuse pressure plate bolts.

All answers/suggestions gratefully appreciated,

4toys

[failed search on this forum: "flywheel" "bolt" "tap"]

2. Apr 21, 2014 at 12:56 AM
    Riche

Riche New Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    Black 06 4dr4x4v6 6spd short box
    Radflo front adj coilovers The rest of the three inch lift is on route!
    If any bolt is a torque to yield bolt it is meant to be replaced every time it comes out. A simple way to tell is if the torque spec requires a "so many degree turn" for the final step this is a torque to yield application which is stretching the bolt to its elastic limit.

Products Discussed in

To Top