1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headlight Moisture!

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by toycoma671, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Oct 3, 2007 at 8:02 PM
    toycoma671

toycoma671 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2007 Prerunner,Sbed, Indigo Ink,TRD
    Blacked out headlights & tail lights,Eye lids, and stainless steel billet grill, Debadged, 10" RockfordSubs, 6x9 Polk speakers, 6 1/2 speakers, JVC CD Player, Vent Visors, Nerf Bars, 20% Tint front, 15% bk Pop-lock, Tonneau Bed cover, Rockford punch amps, OEM Tacoma Bed mat, Toycoma Sport Brakes
    THanks for the write up on the headlight, I followed it and I loved the mod needless to say I too have the moisture getting in problem! How did you fix that? I mean did you wait for it to dry up to seal it again or did you open it up again? please help!!

2. Oct 3, 2007 at 8:06 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i had the same prob when i did mine....let it dry or dry it urself, then take it back apart and heat up both piece w/ adhiesive on them and set them back together and push them together as hard as u can....then reassemble. my passenger side one did the same thing.

3. Oct 3, 2007 at 8:16 PM
    toycoma671

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    Blacked out headlights & tail lights,Eye lids, and stainless steel billet grill, Debadged, 10" RockfordSubs, 6x9 Polk speakers, 6 1/2 speakers, JVC CD Player, Vent Visors, Nerf Bars, 20% Tint front, 15% bk Pop-lock, Tonneau Bed cover, Rockford punch amps, OEM Tacoma Bed mat, Toycoma Sport Brakes
    So you literally have to open it back up and dry it out? Could I let it dry out then apply more silicone?

4. Oct 3, 2007 at 9:41 PM
    Soul

Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 Black
    Bake it for another 10 minutes and push =].

5. Oct 4, 2007 at 5:38 AM
    toycoma671

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! I'll give it a try..

6. Jul 23, 2008 at 6:02 AM
    SPFeeley

SPFeeley Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC 4x4 SR5 6 Speed Radiant Red
    Suspension TSB, URD Short Throw Shifter, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts
    Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm having the same problem. I got pretty heavy moisture in my passenger side headlight after doing this mod.

I've already taken it out again, dried it, baked it again, pushed together more, applied more RTV silicone, added electrical tape, and it's still getting moisture in it :p

I'm thinking I'm going to have to take it apart again to fix it. To the guys who did this mod.. what kind of sealant did you use? The drivers side one sealed up fine with RTV, but this passenger side is becoming a PITA. Any insight is appreciated.

7. Jul 23, 2008 at 7:37 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i didnt use any extra sealant on the ones i did. also make sure that all the caps on the back of the lights are on good...and that the boot around the headlight bulb assembly is on there right and the light is pinned in the right way. that'll let moisture in as well

8. Jul 28, 2008 at 10:57 PM
    Tamotsu

Tamotsu New Member

Member:
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Offroad
    Sealing the edges is very, very critical....one small, small opening will let in enuf moisture to render the job a failure. To dry out the assy, open up all the ports where the light bulbs twist in and let a vacuum cleaner suck out the moisture by placing the vac hose close to the opening. This may take a while but it is better than opening up the darn thing again! Getting all the moisture out is critical because anythiang left behind will cause deterioration of the finishes and leave water marks on the inside of the lens. Good luck with the vacuum cleaner!

9. Sep 17, 2008 at 10:29 AM
    05PreRunner

05PreRunner "Living life in the FAST lane..."

Member:
    <-(714)-> SO-CAL
    TRD intake, JBA "shorty" headers, URD y-pipe
    So, does the vacuum cleaner actually work for this?
    What other "techniques" work for getting moisture out?

10. Sep 17, 2008 at 11:08 AM
    tacoskim

tacoskim Tuned By Gadget

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Stock

i had a little bit of moisture when i did mine, but i didnt take it apart. i just turned my lights on and let it dry out completely... i then just put on more silicon II for it to seal and then the problem went away... you probably didnt get enough on a little section

11. Sep 22, 2008 at 10:28 PM
    Tamotsu

Tamotsu New Member

Member:
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Offroad
    If it didn't work for me, I wouldn't be posting it here!!!!!!!

12. Sep 22, 2008 at 10:42 PM
    slimsdepot

slimsdepot slimsdepot.com

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Be sure to reseal your headlights with silicone... (I am not sure if that is part of the directions or not) but that would be something that I would due if I did this mod.

Also you know what would look awesome with the headlight mod??? Xenons!!! Haha check my signature. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top