1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Loss of power, bad gas mileage and misfiring

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by BullTaco10, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Apr 16, 2014 at 10:04 AM
    BullTaco10

BullTaco10 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have a question about my 2001 4 cylinder 2.7L Toyota Tacoma. It was misfiring badly a few months back so I changed out all the plugs, after that it ran great, then suddenly a couple weeks ago the misfires started again. The engine light blinks randomly at times as well. I am wondering where I should start. I am going to check the plugs again and make sure they aren't loose. All the coil packs look good cosmetically, maybe they are still bad though? I'm not sure. Is it possible that it is the wires or the fuel injectors? I don't really want to replace any coils or injectors unless I really need too (I'm low on cash right now). Another concern I have is my cat. The misfires started in the middle of nowhere in the Wyoming desert and I had to drive a couple hours with the misfires, is it possible that I melted the cat or clogged it up by driving so far with the misfires? If so how can I check the cat? Thanks in advance!

2. Apr 27, 2014 at 10:44 PM
    2001toyota

2001toyota New Member

Member:
    if you don't have any catalytic converter codes like a 420 then your cat is fine, as far as your misfire did you check your spark plug gaps when you put your plugs in other than the gaps unfortunately I would do the coil packs next and if that don't do it then start in on injectors, but for your injectors 9 times out of ten its just the filters in the injectors that plug up, you can get a kit for your injectors for around 20 bucks it comes with filters o rings and pintle caps

3. Apr 28, 2014 at 12:44 PM
    welterbf123

welterbf123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    12voltsolutions.com plug-n-play remote start system. OVTuned OEM Bed lights Underhood and footwell lights Garmin dash-cam Weathertech side vents, bug shield, mud flaps and floor mats Extang Encore tonnau cover OME BP51 Suspension Front & Back / Dakar Leaf Springs Light Racing UCA's XD Holeshot 17" x 9" Wheels Nitto Trail Grapplers 265/70/R17 TRD Pro Grille Raptor Lights iJDMToy 30" LED Hidden Bar Light Toyota Bed Step
    Sounds like fuel injectors. Is the light a 'misfire' code?

4. Apr 28, 2014 at 1:20 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Have you had the code read yet? Start with that and then start looking for the cause.

Products Discussed in

To Top