Notices

major f*** up while doing valve adjustment-PLEASE HELP

Old 04-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #1
excel8951 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
excel8951's Tacoma Gallery
major f*** up while doing valve adjustment-PLEASE HELP

attempted valve adjustment today.

all was going well and I had finally figured out how to get the shims out.

UNTIL...

I spun the crank to check the other 8 valves without replacing 2 of the shims I removed. As result I nicked one of the buckets and put 2 small divets in either end of the associated cam lobe.

The bucket does still seem to hold a shim OK.

I found the 2 chunks of material that came out of the damaged bucket so I know they are not floating around in the head.

My question is can I just let this go or do I need to start pulling cams to replace the damaged bucket. I have NO IDEA how to do that so I am hoping I can just let it go.

AGAIN, The bucket does still seem to hold a shim OK so maybe I dont need to worry about it?

check out the attached pics.

I included a pic of an undamaged bucket for comparison

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
major f*** up while doing valve adjustment-PLEASE HELP-bad.jpg   major f*** up while doing valve adjustment-PLEASE HELP-good.jpg   major f*** up while doing valve adjustment-PLEASE HELP-nicked-cam.jpg   major f*** up while doing valve adjustment-PLEASE HELP-chunks.jpg  
Old 04-16-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
BUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: KC-135A/R Crew Chief NKAWTG
BUZZCUT's Tacoma Gallery
I would dress that lobe up and let it ride especially if it has high miles on it.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #3
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Ouch! I think that with some emery cloth, and patience, you should be able to fix it. Use the emery cloth on the cam where the damage has occurred. Make sure that NO damaged areas are left rough, or with any sharp edges. The bucket is designed to rotate around to prevent "flat-spotting" but I do not see enough severe damage to warrant a full replacement.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:53 PM   #4
Air Force:
Ok... So just smooth out the edges of the cam. I can do that. By the way, the truck has about 160k miles on it.

IF however I wanted to swap that bucket out for both experience and mainly peace of mind, does it just pull right from the top once the cam is removed or is there more to it?

Also, any trick to getting that exhaust cam out? I read in the FSM that you put a "service bolt" through both halves of the cam gear then remove your bearing cap bolts and the cam should just lift out.

Is it really that simple? If it's not a total PITA I'd prefer to just replace the bucket.

Thank you all for your advice
Old 04-17-2014, 07:30 AM   #5
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
There are some cautions and concerns when swapping out camshafts. The exhaust camshaft is the easiest. The key is to find the proper loosening order of the cap bolts to prevent binding of the camshaft, or damage to the caps. Same for tightening. You can replace the bucket easy enough. After removing the shim you can lift the bucket out with a magnet. It may take a try or two as the tolerance of fit is tight, and oil creates a vacuum when trying to lift. The key is to slowly lift the bucket out. Don't try to just pull it out fast.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:00 AM   #6
Air Force:
I got the cam out with little troubles and cleaned up the effected lobe with some fine emery cloth.

I attached a few pictures of the cleaned up lobe. hoping you folks can give a best guess blessing of it based on the pics.

There are still 2 little pits in it but I cant feel any sharp spots with my finger.

just let me know if i need to sand her up some more (and the best way to do so without ruining it) or let here ride.

thank again
Attached Thumbnails
major f*** up while doing valve adjustment-PLEASE HELP-2014-04-17-12.52.55.jpg   major f*** up while doing valve adjustment-PLEASE HELP-2014-04-17-12.53.05.jpg   major f*** up while doing valve adjustment-PLEASE HELP-2014-04-17-12.53.24.jpg  
Old 04-17-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
welterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant future
Navy: HT1
welterbf123's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by excel8951 View Post
I got the cam out with little troubles and cleaned up the effected lobe with some fine emery cloth.

I attached a few pictures of the cleaned up lobe. hoping you folks can give a best guess blessing of it based on the pics.

There are still 2 little pits in it but I cant feel any sharp spots with my finger.

just let me know if i need to sand her up some more (and the best way to do so without ruining it) or let here ride.

thank again
I'd run it like that. I don't think it will cause any problems...
Old 04-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #9
Air Force:
got around to putting everything back together today.

before putting the valve cover on I realized I hadn't rechecked clearances since changing out shims.

sure enough, 2 intake valves are now too loose instead of too tight. They both measure at .11" when spec is .06"-.10"

Is this enough to worry about?

I got frustrated and put everything back together because I was tired of waiting to hear my truck run again but now I've got heart burn about it.

is it ok to let it go or can I just put this thing to bed?
Old 04-23-2014, 11:26 AM   #10
Plenty of slaves for my robot colony?
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Hope everything works out for you. Sounds like your having a stressful experience. Out of curiosity, what do the shims cost?
Old 04-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #11
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondeath View Post
Hope everything works out for you. Sounds like your having a stressful experience. Out of curiosity, what do the shims cost?
I was able to get them for $7.80 a piece. I believe you can buy a kit for a couple hundred bucks
Old 08-16-2014, 01:28 AM   #12
trbrandy is on a distinguished road
trbrandy's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you find the shims? Online or major parts outlet or.....?
Old 08-16-2014, 03:17 AM   #13
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbrandy View Post
Where did you find the shims? Online or major parts outlet or.....?
Got them right from yota dealer
Old 08-16-2014, 03:35 AM   #14
nealkas is one of the sharper tools in the shednealkas is one of the sharper tools in the shednealkas is one of the sharper tools in the shednealkas is one of the sharper tools in the shednealkas is one of the sharper tools in the shednealkas is one of the sharper tools in the shednealkas is one of the sharper tools in the shednealkas is one of the sharper tools in the shednealkas is one of the sharper tools in the shednealkas is one of the sharper tools in the shednealkas is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Motor T, other duties as required. ;-)
Name: nealkas
nealkas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by excel8951 View Post
sure enough, 2 intake valves are now too loose instead of too tight. They both measure at .11" when spec is .06"-.10"

Is this enough to worry about?

is it ok to let it go or can I just put this thing to bed?
Be fine, might tap a little.
Turn up the radio.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:59 AM   #15
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
better slightly loose than too tight...it is only .01 over upper limit...if you are anal, then put in the proper shim for piece of mind...
Old 08-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #16
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldegle2 View Post
better slightly loose than too tight...it is only .01 over upper limit...if you are anal, then put in the proper shim for piece of mind...
Exhaust valves are more critical to be right. If the lash is too tight, then it could burn the valves.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #17
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
that is why I said loose, please reread my post...tight is a no brainer for problems...