Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

tire pressure censor?

Old 10-05-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
Solo Member
kilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Kilo Battery 3rd Battalion 11th Marines 1st Marine Division
kilo's Tacoma Gallery
tire pressure sensor?

Does any one know if the sensor can be turned off? I am mounting some M/T's on stock steel wheels that do not have this. The reason I ask is that I know that my tires need to have the correct pressure and check them all of the time, so if I buy these for the stock wheels and end up airing down for trails and such it's still going to go off, so why buy some for these stock wheels, right? Or can I have it turned off or can I do it myself? I just don't want that extra light in the dash or any kind of buzzing chimes.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
After you air them down, reset the correct tire pressure. There's a button under the steering wheel. When you air them back up, reset to the correct pressure.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:23 AM   #3
Solo Member
kilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
After you air them down, reset the correct tire pressure. There's a button under the steering wheel. When you air them back up, reset to the correct pressure.
So the sensor is not preset to a certain tire pressure? Or in other words, with any tire and pressure I can just hit the button?
Old 10-05-2007, 11:25 AM   #4
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure there is a functional limit, but I think the tires will have tighter functional limits. I know little about offroading and how low the tire pressures typically go.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:27 AM   #5
Solo Member

kilo's Tacoma Gallery
I've never had to. This last time we went out a lot of the guys did. Some down to about 12psi.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:33 AM   #6
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Wow...that's really low. I know a little from my mountain biking experience and a little from when my brother in law got stuck in my driveway.

Are the tires that go down to 12 psi a different construction type from the standard radials?
Old 10-05-2007, 01:22 PM   #7
Big Cat Chew Toy
GTiVR6r is on a distinguished road

GTiVR6r's Tacoma Gallery
What about running a complete second set of wheels and tires?

Does the computer only track 5 tires at a time, or can it track more?

For example: Winter wheels and tires and summer wheels and tires.

I dont want to have to go to the dealer every 6 months to get
the wheels scanned back into the computer everytime I change them.

Taking the bulb out of the dash would be easier.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:24 PM   #8
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
You re-calibrate yourself, using the button under the steering wheel.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:30 PM   #9
Bubba-Jet is on a distinguished road

Bubba-Jet's Tacoma Gallery
But does anyone have an explanation for how it moniters air pressure ?
Old 10-12-2007, 07:42 PM   #10
WildcaTaco is on a distinguished road
WildcaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba-Jet View Post
But does anyone have an explanation for how it moniters air pressure ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_Pr...itoring_System
Old 10-13-2007, 12:50 PM   #11
Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION
AUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant future
AUDITECH's Tacoma Gallery
How thw censors work. Working with Audis i have had to change the censors many times. If you are putting on a second set of wheels and they dont have the censors then most likly your light will be on because the computer is not reading a signal. The censor is attached to you valve stem on most new cars. There is a crystal that is very sensitive to pressure and sends a voltage signal when that signal is out of range your low air psi light comes on it usually takes 5-10 psi to get it to set the light.

Hopefully that was helpful.