Notices

4.0L, engine ticking?

Old 10-05-2007, 07:33 PM   #1
“Half a truth is often a great lie.” -B. Franklin
groovy is on a distinguished road

Name: the archisuck
groovy's Tacoma Gallery
4.0L, engine ticking?

I picked up my 4th tacoma last month. 11,000 miles and the engine is ticking loudly. I have read some of the posts here, and else where about this.
Seriously....why does my $27,000 truck with 11,000 miles on it sound like it has 111,000 miles on it.
Some are saying that the have a new truck with 1,000 with the same noise? I love these trucks. Is the dream over?
Old 10-05-2007, 10:26 PM   #2
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Mine ticked from day one. Is yours really that bad?? I barely notice mine. This is my 3rd Toyota truck and they all ticked. One ticked all they way to 375,000+ miles.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
I have never noticed the notorious tick until just a few days ago. I got out to return a video while the truck was running and the engine was next to a brick pilar and i heard a slight tick. I'm not worried about it. It's barely noticable. If there is a TSB i may have it taken care of but otherwise it is barely noticeable. I dont feel like it is going to affect the the life of the truck in any way
Old 10-08-2007, 10:03 AM   #4
Big Cat Chew Toy
GTiVR6r is on a distinguished road

GTiVR6r's Tacoma Gallery
You'll need to do some diagnoseing to confirm is the ticking mechanical
or electrical. An automotive steathescope will come in handy here.

I noticed on many Toyota engines the electronic spark and or
the injectors fireing is very loud, this could be what your hearing and its harmless.

If the ticking sounds deeper in the engine, it could be anything atached to or inside the engine and may require a tech.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:03 PM   #5
“Half a truth is often a great lie.” -B. Franklin
groovy is on a distinguished road

Name: the archisuck
groovy's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies.
This is extremely upsetting, the tick remains. It seems to be louder sometimes but there is really no reason for decibel change. It seems to be day by day. I have not recorded a catalog as far as cold vs. warm, dry vs. wet and so forth, octane grade, oil type. There is no pattern or discernible reason for this. I had an 87 toy pick up with 314 on it and it did not "tick" this loud. 22RE where have you gone.
The bottom line is...This is unacceptable. For this price vehicle and this mileage this most certainly should not be happening. I hope Toyota steps up and deals with this issue concerning this motor.
Additionally, Time is money my friends. I don't want to spend every other weekend at a dealership/garage trying to find out what might be wrong with my truck.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
since urs is an 06, check and see if this TSB covers u....TSB
Old 10-09-2007, 04:44 AM   #7
Big Cat Chew Toy
GTiVR6r is on a distinguished road

GTiVR6r's Tacoma Gallery
I understand your frustrations.

Take it to the dealer and see what they can do.
Go so far as to get the service department manager involved right from
the start. I'd call first and ask for him.

After my paint scratch fiasco, I now have the service manager's personal
cell phone number.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:18 PM   #8
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
people have had the tsb done and say it doesnt help either at all. try switching to synthetic motor oil, it may or may not help. it did actually quiet mine down a bit though. just a thought.