1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

12Volt outlet off of brake lights??

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by treadstone, May 4, 2014.

1. May 4, 2014 at 7:26 PM
    treadstone

treadstone [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4X4
    Does anyone know how, or if it would be possible to run a 12V outlet (female cigarette style) off the brake light system to the bed? I will be wiring my Snugtop brake light next week, and would also like to see what I can to to provide power to a Living Overland water pump system. I have a 2000 Tacoma.

http://www.livingoverland.com/p/store.html

2. May 4, 2014 at 7:30 PM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    NO. This will overload that circuit and blow a buse. Upgrading fuse size is not an option either. Best option is to ALWAYS run directly to the battery for a new dedicated power source such as what your adding. If you dont want to do that you "can" tap into the trailer harness. There is a heavy gauge 12v battery source in there. However if using for towing I would not recommend using the 12v outlet with a trailer attached just to be safe.

3. May 4, 2014 at 8:11 PM
    treadstone

treadstone [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4X4
    Thanks Proforce. I think I should be looking into a duel battery system mounted under the hood then. I would eventually like to add an on board compressor, and an ARB refrigerator as well. Any recommendations as to a brand/type, and best way to install?

4. May 4, 2014 at 9:12 PM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    Im not an expert in fridges and compressors but Ive hears nothing but good things about ARB products. Might want to check in the expo/overland thread for that. But yea that would definetly require a dual battery setup (atleast highly recommended). If you plan on making those type of add on's its much easier to start out with a good electrical foundation (dual battery system and standalone fuse panel) and then add accessories to it rather than buy all these extras and then eventually upgrade the system. Save your alternator and battery the stress and upgrade all that first and then get your stuff.

5. May 5, 2014 at 7:14 AM
    treadstone

treadstone [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4X4
    10-4 Thanks again ProForce. Glad I didn't try it. I will do some more research on the duel battery set up, as I believe I need to start with a good foundation for future electrical add on in my vehicle.

6. May 5, 2014 at 2:10 PM
    Shadetree

Shadetree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BiLL
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x2
    Locking Tailgate & Gas Cap and extra bed D-rings
    First determine your load size and then size the wire and fuse (at the power source) according. Here is a DC wire chart that might be useful to size the wire,

http://assets.bluesea.com/files/resources/newsletter/images/DC_wire_selection_chartlg.jpg

Grommets or plastic conduit should be used when routing through holes or areas that might compromise the wire's insulation. Improper wiring installation can result in the loss of comprehensive insurance coverage on your truck in the event of a fire.

Products Discussed in

To Top