1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

fuel pressure regulator on 3RZ; how does it work

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by excel8951, May 6, 2014.

1. May 6, 2014 at 10:24 AM
    excel8951

excel8951 [OP] Member

Member:
    harrisburg, pa
    Vehicle:
    97 sr5 2.7L 4x4
    can someone explain how the fuel pressure regulator does its job on my 97 tacoma with the 2.7L?

I understand how a FPR should work normally by closing at high throttle demand when manifold vacuum is low and opening at low throttle demand when vaccum is high BUT the vacuum line that goes to the FPR on this particular motor goes to the intake tube BEFORE the manifold where vacuum seems to always be very low.

any thoughts?

2. May 6, 2014 at 10:34 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    The 2.7 regulator works directly opposite from many others. When the engine is started, and the engine is idling, there is no excessive movement of air past the port in the intake tube, where the fuel pressure regulator is connected. This results in lower fuel pressure. (around 35 PSI) When you open the throttle, air rushing past the port in the intake tube creates a venturi vacuum. (picture blowing air across the top of a straw and watching your drink rise up the straw) This venturi vacuum allows the fuel pressure regulator to open up more, where you should see around 42 PSI of fuel pressure.

3. May 7, 2014 at 10:16 AM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    Mr Bama and I do not agree on this question. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/289238-p0171-code.html

I maintain that the FPR (2.7 and 3.4) is "fixed" and not affected at all by any engine running condition. And further, that the hose connection upstream of the t-body is only there to direct a fuel leak (leaking FPR diaphragm) to the intake as a fire safety measure.

This lack of vacuum can be easily seen with a gauge plugged into said hose under any running combination of RPM and throttle position. I have checked this myself on the 3.4 and for it to be any different on the 2.7, I would really have to see it or at least hear of an observed number or any other supporting evidence for that matter.:)

Stout890 likes this.
  4. Dec 21, 2020 at 4:18 PM
    z71bowhunter

z71bowhunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Temple,Ga
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma Ex-Cab 4x4
    If this FPR fails,would cause a cranking issue,like flooding trying to cranks it?

Products Discussed in

To Top